Chapter 67

After Ivetta's initial fears of the first night were resolved, she relaxed and became quite the little tease. It is no exaggeration to say I couldn't keep my hands off of her, and, for the most part, she did not deny me. When she did, it was only for a short time, and it was all part of a game she played masterfully. Not that I had any reason to complain. I had no interruptions, no obligations, and no responsibilities. Just an overabundance of time to spend with her. Making love, cuddling on the sofa, reading; it didn't matter what we did, so long as we were together. I didn't even leave her alone in the kitchen. She was an excellent cook, and far too susceptible to my own particular brand of teasing. Besides, if I left her alone, she ended up looking for things to do. We were a couple of days into the honeymoon when I let her out of my sight for a few minutes, only to find her in another room, dusting.

"Servants will clean after we leave," I reminded her, taking the rag from her hand.

Her wide green eyes and embarrassed blush said everything for her. She'd hoped I wouldn't catch her.

"I really don't mind, Chevalier," she said, as if that would make me change my mind on this matter. "It's kind of nice to clean every so often."

Ever the frustrating little maid. I pulled her into my arms and kissed her.

"I mind. You are my queen, and I won't have you soiling your hands."

She giggled. "But you don't mind me changing the sheets and doing dishes?"

I smirked. "Those are necessities. Dusting is not."

Her blush deepened, as I expected. "Well, I've already changed the sheets and done the dishes today, and I don't feel like reading right now. What if we went for a walk? Do you realize we haven't set foot outside since we got here? Spring is here, and it's such a beautiful place. It's a shame not to enjoy it."

"I am enjoying it," I said, smiling innocently. "Aren't you?"

Her face was bright red, but she hugged me around the waist and rested her chin on my chest, returning my smile.

A tease was coming. And I was more than willing to go along with it.

"Very much, but I would like to explore outside a little."

"Explore outside, hm?" I asked.

Her eyes widened with feigned surprise, and she pulled away from me. "That's not what I meant!"

"But we are alone. There's nobody within miles of here." I grabbed her and scooped her up, heading for the door.

"Chevalier!" she protested, giggling. "Put me down!"

I did, but only once we got outside. Her green eyes sparkled mischievously as she pulled away from me. She was only wearing one of my shirts, per my suggestion that it was foolish to go to all the trouble of getting fully dressed when it was just the two of us, but practicality was not on my mind right now. It was a beautiful bright sunny day, the air was heavy with the scent of flowers and bloom, and she was backing down the path with an impish grin.

"Where do you think you're going, little dove?" I asked. Her hands were clasped behind her back, leaving the hem that barely covered her thighs free to flutter in the slight breeze.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe I just need to get away from you for a little while," she teased, and then she took off running. It didn't take me long to catch her. Our momentum brought us tumbling to the grass and rolling down the hill, laughing. We came to a stop at the bottom, trying to catch our breaths, lying side by side in the sun.

"I can't believe I'm doing this," she gasped as the laughter subsided, smiling over at me. Her eyes slid down to my bare chest and slowly back to my eyes.