•5

Before

Once the elevator doors shut, I lost the tough look, allowing my face to relax, my shoulders hunch.

"How do they not understand the risk they're taking?" I asked, gripping the ends of my hair in anger, "That unit died trying to contain her. What the fuck do they think their next plan is?"

"It should be to evacuate the park," Owen said.

"'We'd never reopen,'" I mocked Claire, rolling my eyes.

"We can't even warn anyone.."

Defeated, I nodded in understanding. Our trust was ensured in one another-- we'd learned that from our first meeting. There wasn't a chance in the world I would risk telling another staff member about the escaped Indominus. Not everyone was as calm as we were about the situation. Things could have gone wrong. Well, worse than they already were.

We made our way out of the building, starting on the path to the monorail station.

I took Owen's wrist in my hand, flipping it over to check the time on his watch.

"I've got an hour till my next show," I told him, dropping his hand, but sliding my own down to lock our fingers casually.

"I'm not leaving you," Owen said, tightening his grip on my hand.

"Same here. You couldn't survive without me," I teased.

"Please," Owen snorted, "Before I came into it, your life was miserable."

Funny thing is that although we were teasing, they turned out to be true statements.

"Think we should grab a bite to eat?" I suggested.

"I'm feeling a drink, actually," Owen hinted, smirking at me, "Margaritas on the bridge, Lo. Just like we used to."

I threw my head back in a laugh, swinging our hands slightly as we walked.

"It could work this time. Especially since Claire is too busy to yell at us," I said.

The monorail slid into view from around the hill.

Our hands broke away in sync. Romantic gestures couldn't be shown in front of other staff members. As you may have guessed, there were policies against the staff dating.

"Hiya, Lauren!" Randy, the man who monitored the monorail greeted as I slipped through the doors.

His eyes were almost closed completely, due to his excessive smile. The old man was never sad, bless his heart.

"How are you, buddy?" Owen asked, clapping a hand softly on Randy's back.

"Owen, I didn't even see you there! How are those raptors?" Randy wondered.

"They're listening well," Owen answered.

"Say that again?" Randy asked, leaning closer to Owen.

For once, I giggled, something only expressed when I was in their presence.

Around Jurassic World, I was known as the one to avoid when I wasn't doing a show.

My resting face looked menacing, I had been told, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I enjoyed the isolation the workers gave me. All I needed was Owen anyway.

"Here's your stop, kiddos," Randy said as the monorail slowed, "Good luck with your show, Lauren. See you two later!"

Under my breath, I muttered, "Hopefully."

Owen and I walked separate ways. He left to grab our margaritas; I went to Mo's exhibit.

I climbed the ladder to the bridge and unfolded the two chairs I kept up there.

Together, Owen and I sipped at our margaritas, enjoying the sun and sound of the splashing water as Mo swam beneath us.

Our seats side by side, feet in between the bars of the bridge, I decided to take it a step further and lock our hands together.

"Better enjoy this while it lasts," I said, turning my head to him.

Owen looked at me, a sad little smile on his handsome face, "If they don't contain her by the time she reaches the park.."

"There won't be a park anymore."