•20

Before

Leaving the woods and starting to travel down the road back to the park, Owen and I came across a lonely truck on the same path.

After finding Claire driving and the boys in the back, we high-tailed it to the park.

"I had Lowery call in a chopper," Claire said, once we were stopped, "Get to the Innovation Center."

We passed through Main Street easily, the streets clear since the visitors had been ushered to the docks.

While climbing the steps, I stopped halfway when I heard a familiar whining echoing through the street.

"Lauren," Zach said, having stop because of me, "What is it?"

"That's Mo," I said.

Looking around nervously, Claire grabbed Zach. "Come on, Lauren, we don't need another dinosaur attacking us."

"She's a marine dinosaur, dumb ass," I snapped.

"Lauren," Owen whispered, taking my face in his hands, "We have to get off this island."

"Okay, you guys go. I need five minutes, that's it," I promised.

"Lauren, she's just a dinosaur," Claire stressed.

"Lord, help me, I am about five seconds away from smacking this--"

"Okay!" Owen said over my threat, "Lauren, lead the way. I'll go with you."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Zach and Gray opposed.

"I'm not going anywhere without her," Gray protested.

"I am your Aunt, and I'm ordering you to get into that building," Claire said.

Despite the pride I had for the boys choosing myself over their Aunt, I did agree with her.

"No, kids, you should get inside," I said. I patted their heads, "You're like my biggest fans, and it's great for my self esteem, but I need you to take the admiration you have for me and use it to comply to my wish."

"You'll protect us. We'll be fine," Zach insisted.

Gray wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Why are you touching me?" I asked, clearly disgusted.

"I won't let go until you say we can come with you."

"I hate you two," I said.

"We're brats," Zach said with an eye roll, "We know."

"Lauren, no," Claire said, "You're taking this too far."

"And I'll say again: what are you going to do, fire me?" I teased.

Ignoring the hurt look on her face, I slipped the gun strap across my chest and led the way into the Underwater Observatory.

Mo was floating at the top of the tank, her tail wiggling enough to keep her from sinking

"What's wrong with her?" Gray wondered.

"She's sick," I said, "I bet you it's her bowel system."

"From eating our babysitter?"

"Uh.. Yes."

"What can we do to help?" Owen asked.

"She'll have to get over it on her own. But, we are going to make sure she's fed for as long as we can."

"How?"

I stepped away from the glass, walking to the control room Gideon used to work in.

"There's a schedule to the shark eatings. We normally do six each day.. So--"

"If we change the number, she'll have food for a longer time," Owen said.

"Exactly. If only I could get this door open," I muttered, still trying to twist the knob.

"You do have a gun," Zach pointed out.

I rested my hand on Zach's shoulder. "Good idea, child," I said, then cocked my gun.

"Stand back," Owen warned, pushing the kids away from me.

"Right, I forgot about that," I said, chuckling, "Sorry."

After successfully breaking through the door, I passed Zach my gun-- which was probably not the brightest idea-- and took a seat at the computer.

"We normally overfill her in the first place," I said as I found the program that controlled the food, "She can survive on two sharks a day."

I programmed the feeding times differently, for ten a.m. and ten p.m. every day.

"How long will that last her?" Zach asked.

"We have over five hundred sharks stored in that conveyer belt. Should be a while.. At least until.."

"Until?" Owen asked.

"I don't know. Maybe we'll come back. Save the remaining dinosaurs," I said hopefully, "Whatever. Come on, we should go."

Owen ushered the kids in front of him, allowing Gray to lead us to the door.

I slowed as I passed the Observatory. I held my hand against the glass.

"Good?" Owen asked.

I glanced at him. The boys kept walking, but Owen had stopped, his brow raised in concern.

"Yeah, I'm good," I mumbled, "I'm right behind you."

The door clicked open, the boys checked the street, then ran out of the door. Owen watched them through the door, waiting for me before he left the building.

"Survive for me, okay, my girl?" I whispered, "Survive here for as long as you can.."