•11

Before

While not exactly nice for the boys, the Indominus followed them after unsuccessfully killing them inside the gyrosphere.

Once their tracks led us from the mound of trees, the mud ceased to exist, the path leading us to a plain of tall grass. The Indominus' massive footprints were present by the flattened grass, which led us to a body of water.

Owen peered over the edge, searching for any sign of the boys.

"You think they jumped?" I asked.

"Oh, my God," Claire mumbled, dropping her head into her hands.

"Your nephews are bad ass," I complimented, "Gotta give that to them."

With the plain clear from the Indominus, I tossed my gun on the grass. Aiming to lessen my layers, I started to shrug off my shirt, revealing a white tank top.

"Lauren, we're not jumping," Owen said.

"Well, there's no reason not to jump," I said, playing into his wrong assumption, "Come on, Owen, I'll even let you skinny dip."

Owen's lips split, his mouth trying to catch up with his brain.

"Lauren, Owen, we're not jumping," Claire said sternly, "Now, what are we going to do?"

"There is no 'we,'" I told her, sweeping my gun from the grass, "Owen and I are tracking them the rest of the way alone."

Missing a good chance at a flirty remark, Owen settled for a wink my way before looking at Claire.

"You're going to go back to the park," he said.

"No. I'm coming with you," Claire disagreed, "You can pick up their scent right? Track their footprints?"

"I was in the Navy, not the Navajo," Owen snapped.

"You shouldn't come, Claire. Honestly," I said, my tone light.

"You'll last two minutes," Owen said."

"Especially with the heels."

Claire's angry slits of eyes traveled between our judgemental glares. She clicked off the belt around her middle. Keeping eye contact with us, she starting to unbutton her shirt.

"God, not a strip show, please," I begged.

Claire rolled her eyes. She tied her blouse, adjusted her skirt, then stood with her hands on her hips.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Owen asked.

He threw a glance my way, where I shrugged, not exactly understanding myself.

"It means I'm ready to go," Claire said in an obvious tone.

Owen looked at me for approval. I waved my hand, knowing an argument against her would result in nothing but us wasting time.

"Let's get one thing straight. I'm in charge out here," Owen ordered. With a questioning noise from me, he sighed, then corrected, "We're in charge out here. You follow our directions, do everything we say, exactly as we say."

"Fine."

Owen slid his gun from his back and into his hand, "Lauren, take the lead."

"Are you serious?" I asked, my eyes wide, "Owen."

Owen raised his eyebrow, "Well, unless you want to.."

"Unless I want to?" I continued, desperate to not be the first to get eaten.

Owen puckered his lips.

Before I could respond, Claire gasped, looking offended, "There are staff rules against dating."

"We aren't dating," I insisted, laying a hand on her shoulder, "Flirt buddies? That's a strong maybe."

A disgusted look on her face, Claire stomped through the grass past us.

Following her, I chimed, "Good! She's taking the lead."