CHAPTER 3

"It's not even that big of a deal," Tyson mutters, "I don't understand why he's making a whole fucking song and dance with it," his head falls to his desk as I hold back a laugh.

"It goes towards half our final mark, it is a big deal," I return, resting my head against Zahlia's shoulder.

"I'm sure you'll do great hun," she says, smiling at me.

"I don't really have a choice," I mutter, my eyes following Professor Brown as he walks from the board back to his desk.

"Now for your partners," he says, a smile on his face as he looks around the classroom. "I've paired you up with people I hope will help you work efficiently with. I'm not after new friendships, I'm after some quality work remember,"

"Do you think he has a social life outside of teaching?" Tyson asks under his breath, "I'm leaning towards no," he draws out the last word as I cover my growing smile with my hand.

"He wishes he had a social life, but I think the poor guy doesn't have one," Zahlia giggles, her eyes widening as her name is called.

"Miss Walker, I would appreciate it if you would listen. You and Mr Carter make quite the pair," Professor Brown says in a sharp voice.

I look back to see a grinning Max, laptop in hand as he says something to Carson, who just rolls his eyes.

"I'm sorry sir," Zahlia says meekly,

"You can apologise to me in the form of handing in a good assessment," Professor Brown says, his tone silky, "But since you were busy talking, you are paired with Mr Carter,"

Zahlia laughs nervously and flashes a smile at Professor Brown before turning to face me.

"You're with the puppy dog," Tyson grins, making me laugh as I look to see Zahlia shaking her head. "I saw them last night when J was getting dinner," he adds.

"Mr Mitchell," Professor Brown says sharply, Tyson's head whipping up before either of us have the chance to respond, "and Miss Luka, you two are paired together,"

Tyson flashes a smile and looks back to see Stacy smiling at us. "Stace we're together!" he gasps quietly, scowling as Stacy gasps with mock enthusiasm.

"Miss Lancey and Mr Beckett, you two are paired together," Professor Brown says, looking at me before looking over in Carson's direction.

I zone out his voice as I look back at Carson who's deep in conversation with Max, seemingly unbothered.

"Maybe you can raise his grades," Tyson suggests, his voice low as he looks at me.

"If he fucks up my grade I'm going to kill him," I hiss, thinking back to every time this year where Carson failed a test, didn't hand an assignment in or blatantly just didn't show up to class.

He's going to fuck it up.

I need to keep getting perfect grades otherwise I can't come here anymore. My parents can't pay the full fee, and once I stopped skating my scholarship was revoked. The deal was I get perfect grades and school would cover some of the cost, and for me to consider starting skating again.

Fuck fuck fuck.

"Dahlia," Zahlia says quietly, "breathe," her voice is low as she places a reassuring hand on my knee.

"Everyone find your partners and begin on the assessment. Figure out how much you will do between class and in your own time, go," Professor Brown says, taking his glasses off and sitting down.

"Stace!" Tyson exclaims, grabbing his stuff and walking over to Stacy behind us.

"Hey Dahlia," I turn back to see a smiling Max calling my name, "Swap seats?" he asks.