CHAPTER 2

I'm suddenly snapped from my thoughts as I receive a shove to the elbow.

"I wasn't listening, what's happening?" I asks, looking up from my computer to see my best friend Max grinning at me.

"Mr Beckett if you have no intention on learning then you can leave," my literature professor says in a disgusted tone.

"Sweet," I mutter, grabbing my laptop and standing up, walking out of the classroom without saying another word.

I don't understand why my parents made me take fucking literature, it has no benefit to me and just adds extra shit for me to do.

"Oi," I hear Max call out, turning around to see him jogging towards me.

"You pissed Brownie off," he laughs, grabbing my shoulder and pulling me beside him.

"I can live with that," I sigh, pushing the door open and shivering as the cold air hits my face.

"If you're lucky he'll partner you with someone who'll do the whole assessment for you," he chuckles, walking alongside me.

"He will, he knows I'm not doing any of it anyway," I sigh, "We have the most important games of the season coming up, so I can't waste time doing fucking literature,"

"Why did you even choose it anyway?" Max laughs, "It's your own damn fault,"

"My parents," I mutter,

"Right," Max says in a knowing tone, "Mother and Father dearest forcing an education on you?" he laughs.

"Isn't it mean?" I say in a blunt tone, not in the mood for Max's constant energy right now.

We make the short walk over to the rink where my car is, with all my gear in it.

The team have a 3 hour training session tonight, and coming off a close win last week, Coach is going to dig into us.

Although we won, it was our lowest scoring game of the year, and the team was slow all together.

Max nudges me and I look up to see the carpark of the rink, taking my keys out to unlock my car.

I throw my laptop and bag into the backseat and take out my training bag, looking up as I hear loud laughter.

"You'd be lucky to be paired with one of them," Max says quietly, and I narrow my eyes to see Dahlia, Zahlia, and Tyson.

"Zahlia's a skater, she'll be just as busy as us," I say, shutting the door and slinging my bag over my shoulder.

"Ready to go?" I ask, looking over at Max, as his gaze stays on the group of 3.

"Yeah," he murmurs, shaking his head and grabbing his bag from the car.

"Still caught up on her?" I ask, looking as my best friend can't help but look back once more. "She's not dating that other guy anymore, now could be your chance?" I suggest.

He shakes his head, "Never gonna happen," he laughs wryly, sighing as his gaze diverts back to the ground.

"Never say never," I tease, earning a laugh as we walk inside the rink.

"You two are early," I hear a booming voice from the ice, turning my head to see Coach walking over to us.

"Not happy to see us?" Max teases, throwing his arms around the poor man's neck and bringing him in for a hug.

"I'm always happy to see my two best players," Coach laughs, sending me a wink.

"So you'll go easy on us today?" Max asks hopefully.