Act 1 scene 2

When the stage lights turn back on the stage has now been changed into a netball pitch. There are two nets one at either end of the stage and all the students are now in their PE kit. Skylar has now joined them as they were late to school yet again. Skylar is looking down at a sketchbook in their lap and sketches something but doesn't seem to really be focusing on anything going on around them.

Coach: (He is holding a netball under one arm and has a whistle in the other hand) Skylar, do you want to play today? I know you normally opt out on netball.

Skylar: (Looking up from his sketchbook) If you know the answer then why are you asking?

Coach: (Snapping) If you are going to be...

Teacher: (Cutting the coach off) Sorry, Nigel, but I need to borrow Skylar for a minute.

Coach: (He seems to have forgotten that there are students around because he replies very flirtatiously) Of course you can, anything for you, gorgeous. If you want to take Skylar then take them. Though I must say you are looking radiant today, although you always do, Evelyn.

The teacher is rather taken aback at how the Coach responds. And doesn't seem to be impressed by it but rather horrified.

Teacher: (Responding icily) Nigel, now is not the time to be talking to me like that. There are students around, but thank you for letting me take Skylar.

Coach: Alright, Evelyn, I have a whole evening to dote on you tonight.

Teacher: (Getting very angry and yelling at the Coach) WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? YOU ARE A MEMBER OF STAFF AND IN CHARGE OF A BUNCH OF CHILDREN. NOW GET A GRIP.

Skylar stands up and quickly puts the sketchbook and sketching pencils into their backpack. Walking as fast as they could walk across the stage and off into the wings. When the netball posts, the students and Coach have left the stage Skylar and the teacher walk back on.

Teacher: I just need to have a quick word with you. It concerns something that another student has come to me about.

Skylar: (Fear crossing their face) I know what this is about and we are not having this conversation now. We are never having this conversation.

Teacher: Skylar, I'm worried about you and just want what's...

Skylar runs away to go hide and the teacher starts to weep very softly as she knows exactly how Skylar is feeling right now. After a few minutes a wall comes into place in the centre of the stage. On one side the teacher is still weeping and on the other side is Skylar and Milly.

Milly: (She is really angry and can barely control her temper as she shouts at Skylar) I did what I thought was best for your safety. I'm sorry if it has caused more harm that good.

Skylar: (Equally as angry) I told you not to tell anyone. You have betrayed my trust. You know you are the only one that I can turn to when I am in a crisis.

Milly is left in shock as Skylar turns towards the audience, calming down as he starts to speak.

Skylar: (To the audience) I know Milly wouldn't do anything to hurt me purposefully, she's the only friend I have and the only person who doesn't look at me like I'm a freak. She was there when my Dad walked out two years ago. She used to always be so happy. She never knew what was going to happen.

Milly: (To the audience) I know that Skylar has struggled for the last three or four years, but it only got worse when their Dad left. They tried to convince their Dad to take them with him but he point blankly refused. I wish that Skylar would be more open to me or to an adult. I think that's why I'm going to introduce them to Rae. She is our school nurse but Skylar hasn't been very good at talking to people since Miss Ellis (Evelyn) and Coach Baxter (Nigel) have been trying to get them to talk to them. I'm hoping as Rae Padgett doesn't force people to do things Skylar may start to trust her.

Turning back to Skylar

Milly: (She is very nervous as she says this) Skylar, I know how you are at meeting new people but I want to introduce you to someone. She works here and she won't expect or force you to do anything. She is lovely. Will you come?

Skylar: (Who was only paying half attention answers warily) Sure as long as they don't know about me already.

Milly: (Excitedly jumping up and down) I know you will love Rae. She doesn't know about you other than your name. So let's go, it's break anyway!

Skylar, Milly and Miss Ellis all leave the stage, as well as the wall that was in the centre of the stage.