A difficult man Part 8

A difficult man

Chapter 8

Exhausted, Jane got up from the ground and went to sit on the porch, where a few hours earlier she was about to make her dream come true. She hadn't dreamed of it, she and Buck were about to kiss. So how could things have precipitated this way? It was true that she was the one who pushed him to go with that woman, in her heart she knew it was true that she could certainly offer him better care, she couldn't be selfish. But she thought that if Buck wanted to stay with her he would oppose it more forcefully. He had probably loved that woman for a long time and this love was stronger than what he perhaps felt for her.

While she was immersed in these thoughts and tears were streaming down her face, Lou came to see her and when she saw her in those conditions, worried she exclaimed: "What's happening Jane, where is Buck, is he okay?"

Jane winced when she heard Lou's words because she didn't even know she had arrived.

"Hi Lou, I didn't hear you coming. Yes, Buck is fine, but he's not here anymore, he's gone "

"How did he go away? What happened?"

"A certain Kathleen Devlin came to pick him up and took him to town with her, she will surely be able to treat him better than me"

"Kathleen? Oh no "

"Who is that woman, Lou, what does she mean to Buck?"

"It's a long story, Buck was in love with her but she broke his heart, she played with him to spite her father. I can't believe Buck left with her "

Jane explained to Lou how things had gone, omitting the part where she and Buck were about to kiss because she was ashamed and feeling stupid.

"You shouldn't have let him go Jane, she will make him suffer again. How are you? Your eyes are swollen "

"I'm fine, it's just a little melancholy"

"Don't pretend with me Jane, I know you're in love with him and I could have sworn that he too had feelings for you"

"It doesn't matter now, Lou. He will be fine and will recover soon. Maybe some day I'll go and see him ".

"I'm going to go now, I just want to see what that witch will tell me. Don't beat yourself down Jane, everything will be fine "

"Thanks Lou, but the important thing is that Buck has the best care"

Lou said goodbye and went to town. She met Kid who told her: "Lou, wait, where are you going so fast, I have to tell you something"

"Oh Kid, an absurd thing happened, Kathleen came back and took Buck to the hotel with her"

"What? Oh no. How is Jane?"

"You noticed it too, right? She is destroyed but she let him go because she is convinced that with Kathleen Buck she will be better. She doesn't know how wrong she is. I'm going to them to talk to Buck "

"Lou, please don't meddle like you usually do"

"I can't let that woman hurt Buck again, not after what he's been through lately"

Kid shook his head as Lou walked briskly to the hotel. She asked for Buck at the reception and they told her that she was in a room that communicated with that of Miss Devlin and that the latter had left said that they did not want to be disturbed.

Lou didn't give a damn about the man's words and went up despite the poor employee's protests.

She knocked on Buck's door but Kathleen came to open it: "I said we don't want to be disturbed ... Oh, Lou, nice to see you again after all this time"