Chapter Six

Matilda smiles as Elijah and Davina look at each other, Elijah holding back his hunger as he looks at Davina's carotid artery "You're the one they call honorable

Matilda smiles as Elijah and Davina look at each other, Elijah holding back his hunger as he looks at Davina's carotid artery "You're the one they call honorable." Davina says. "Yes, that's what they call me. And yet, I followed my brother here to New Orleans to engage in a war.  So, I ask you- does that sound honorable to you?" Elijah asks with a smile. "You don't look well." Davina tells him. "Well, only this morning, I had a mystical dagger embedded in my chest, so I'd say I'm holding myself together quite well... Davina, I believe that you and I have the power to end a war between witches and vampires before it truly begins. I, by keeping my brother in line; you, by behaving like your true self- not some tool for Marcel or the witches." Elijah explains. "And why should I trust you?" Davina asks him. "Well, for one thing, in spite of a ravenous hunger, I have not tried to take your blood." Elijah points out. "Why not? Mattie is the only one here." Davina points out. "Even in my present condition, I would not feed from a child." Elijah explains. Davina takes a hat pin "No need for that Vina." Matilda tells her, conjuring a blood bag with her magic. Elijah smiles and takes it, beginning to drink from it "Thank you, Little One." he tells her. "Not little anymore." Matilda grumbles. "You are to me." Elijah tells her.

Davina sits drawing while Matilda paints her nails and Elijah walks around, picking up Tim's broken violin from a table and examining it "Do you play?" he asks. "That's... not mine." Davina tells his sadly. Elijah sits in a chair and starts fixing the violin until Marcel's footsteps can be heard from outside the room. Matilda looks at Elijah who quickly hides away "Good news, Little D. I'm moving you out this pile of dust. Mattie?" Marcel asks. Matilda waves at him, still painting her nails "Are you serious? When?" Davina asks. "Tonight. I just need to lock in the arrangements. How's our Original?" Marcel asks, motioning to the coffin. "Uh, don't disturb the body! I have a spell in progress." Davina lies. "Bet you do. Pack up, 'kay? Only what you wanna take. I'll buy ya anything else you need." Marcel tells her. "Okay." Davina responds, feigning excitement. Marcel leaves, Elijah coming back out from behind the corner "You didn't reveal that I was awake." he says curiously. Davina smiles shyly "We're not done talking yet!" she tells him. Elijah picks up the violin again and sits down, continuing to fix it "You and Marcel seem very close." he remarks. "Marcel's my family." Davina explains. "And yet Marcel is someone who delights in harming the witches. Those people, I would think, you would consider family. This doesn't trouble you?" Elijah asks. "No. They deserve it." Davina responds.

"Why would you say that?" Elijah asks in confusion. "'Cause they're liars. All of them. They made me and my friends do this Harvest ritual. They said our participation would bring our family strength, health... that we'd forever be celebrated as saviors of the community. But all they really wanted was more power. So, I left before they could get it. Now, they're running out of time, because after the Harvest, comes the Reaping. And if they don't complete the Harvest, there won't be a Reaping. Soon, all the witches in the Quarter will start to lose their power. Eventually, they will cease to be witches altogether." Davina explains, Matilda realising that she means the Harvest. "So what does it take to complete this ritual?" Elijah asks. "She has to die." Matilda tells him, Elijah looking shocked. "H-How do you know?" Davina asks her. "I've heard about the Harvest before but I always thought it was myth... Dad used to tell me about it and how if it turned out to be real, we'd stop it." Matilda explains, Elijah's eyes softening when he sees the broken look on his niece's face. "You and your Dad were going to stop it if you found out?" Davina asks. "Yes, we may like witches and I may be part witch but there are some lines we don't cross. Dad taught me that and I still live by it, it's how he came to find me." Matilda tells her.