Chapter Eighteen

Matilda glares at Rebekah "Rebekah!" Klaus exclaims

Matilda glares at Rebekah "Rebekah!" Klaus exclaims. "Walk away." Elijah tells Matilda and Klaus. "Don't move!" Klaus warns Rebekah. "Leave us now." Elijah tells her. "I can't. I'm stuck here. Elijah, he has the white oak stake." Rebekah retorts. "I brought it for you, sister." Klaus says, pointing the stake at her. "Get out of their sight. Your presence here only serves to anger them. Leave them to me now." Elijah tells Rebekah. Rebekah vamp-speeds away, Elijah turning to Klaus and Matilda "I'm asking you, brother to brother-- we end this nonsense now." he tries. "You would side with that traitor." Klaus glares. "I am not choosing sides, but I will not allow you to hurt our sister." Elijah retorts. "We cannot leave this cemetery, Elijah. How long do you think you can defend her?" Matilda asks. Klaus takes Matilda's hand, the two of them vamp-speeding away. Elijah catches up to them easily and blocks their way "As long as it takes, by whatever means necessary." he tells them. Matilda growls slightly, Klaus rubbing the back of her hand with his thumb  "You've been at this for hours. To what end? Niklaus, I know you, and I grew up fighting you. I can't be beaten, nor can I be persuaded. You cannot get past me." Elijah tries. "I could get past you. Although, it might have to be over your dead body. You did stab me with that blade, forcing me to endure hours of unspeakable pain. Perhaps I should direct my rage toward you." Klaus tells him, pointing the stake at him.

"You should see yourself-- the murderous expression, the self-righteous posturing. You look like Father." Elijah glares. "Uncle Nik is nothing like that monster! You have no idea what he did to me! What I lost because of Rebekah bringing him here!" Matilda shouts, Klaus having to stop her speeding at Elijah. "I'm not him. Rebekah's betrayal justifies my anger. His was that of a madman. You were never the recipient of his cruelty. None of you were-- not Kol, not Finn, None of you! I think you've forgotten what he was truly like." Klaus glares. "No. I have not forgotten." Elijah responds, going on to talk about Mikael. Klaus stares at Elijah for a moment before speeding away with Matilda. Elijah catches up to them once again "Niklaus, Matilda, I understand your anger, but I implore you, be better than him. Do what he could not-- demonstrate the grace of mercy, rather than this petty cruelty." Elijah tries. "You ask me to show mercy to one who has wronged me. You really don't know me at all, do you, brother?" Klaus asks. "Enough. Whatever I have done wrong, my guilt is nothing compared to yours. You want revenge? Fine. But, before you have it, I will look you in the eye and tell you why it was your cruelty and your spite that led us to this." Rebekah says, joining in them. "Go on, then. Speak your piece, and when you are finished, I will grant you the punishment you deserve, even if I have to go through Elijah to do so." Klaus tells her.

Matilda watches as Klaus perches atop a tomb "Let it begin. The trial of Rebekah Mikaelson." he starts. "What a relief. His ego is in check." Rebekah mutters. "Just speak your truth. I'll make certain he behaves himself." Elijah tells her. "You stand accused of betraying your own blood. How do you plead?" Klaus asks. "I plead you to shut up and listen." Rebekah retorts. "You summoned our father. You brought him to our home. What possible defense could you have?" Klaus asks her. "I knew he was the only thing that you feared, and I wanted you to run." Rebekah tells him. "Because you hated me." Klaus tells her. "Because you were hateful. You denied me the freedom to love." Rebekah retorts. "Oh, so that's your defense? You called Mikael-- the Destroyer, the Hunter of Vampires-- because I detained you from pursuing some dull suitors." Klaus asks her. "You were cruel, and controlling, and manipulative." Rebekah tells him. "I was trying to protect you! From imbeciles, and leeches. Not to mention your own poor judgment." Klaus retorts. "And what about the one that you loved enough to call friend? Why did you forbid me to love Marcel?" Rebekah asks. "Do not mention his name." Klaus glares.