Where's Hero? (Dreamworld 1)

The white door has returned, casting a faint shadow. Mewo is soundly resting, snoring quietly at the corner of her blanket. Hikki gives the grand piano a glance, polished wood shining in bleak light.

Her fingers twitch, itching to play a key. She takes tentative steps towards it. The keys almost beg her to be pressed, waiting for the cover of dust to be blown off. But her heart says no, so she walks away.

Hikki/Omari opens the white door, and steps into her favoured world.

Sunny perks up at the sound of a door clicking, whipping around so quickly he blurs for a moment. He dashes to her side, enveloping her in a warm hug. She wraps her arms around him, melting into his gentle grip. He doesn’t need to say anything for her to know. Hikki gently pats his mop of violet hair.

The black haired girl pauses, searching her surroundings. She notices a certain someone’s presence missing. His kind and warm aura is gone, leaving the room silent. Sunny frowns, shaking his head.

Her heart hammers in her ribcage in response to Sunny’s silence. Concern etched on his face and in her heart.

“...We should hurry to the others,” Sunny suggests, basket in hand. Hikki nods, taking her brother’s

Hikki points to the basket with a grin. The little boy nods shyly, cheeks rosy, earning a bear crushing hug from his older sister.

“Hikki!” Aubrey’s gloomy aura dissipates into a mellow relief. She hugs Hikki tight, before latching onto Sunny, “Sunny, you’re here too! I’m so glad you’re okay..”

Sunny’s ears burn red. He lightly pats Aubrey’s back.

“Where’s Hero?”

Kel - tense like a coiled spring, eyes shaking in fear, mouth quivering - asks in a tiny voice. He sounds like a lost child begging for help. Hikki hates how she can’t answer, simply shaking her head negative.

Tears gather in his eyes. He bites his lip to keep himself from sobbing. Aubrey hesitantly places a hand on his shoulder, offering him a reassuring smile, “Don’t worry Kel! We’ll find him for sure.”

“Besides, Hero’s strong enough to protect himself,” she adds. Sunny nods along, placing his violin precariously on the blanket and laying out the picnic basket. Soft aromas wafting from the food grabs Kel’s attention immediately, temporarily putting his misery to rest, “... Did you make all that yourself, Sunny?”

Aubrey peeks into the basket, enjoying the scent of the food as Sunny smiles nervously, nodding. His cheeks burn a rosy red as Aubrey awes over his hand-made lunch.

Kel’s curiosity drops to a short moment of grief, reminded of his missing brother. Seeing his sadness, Hikki/Omari suggests they go search for Basil first, pointing in the direction of his home.

“Oh! You’re right!” Aubrey gasps, “He’s probably so lost and confused”, Kel follows silently but Sunny stays behind. He looks disappointed, readying the bow of his violin. Sunny gives Hikki a small smile, corners forced.

Kel grins over the sadness, pats his friend on the back. His hand is gentle, unlike the boy’s usual enthusiasm. Sunlight shines brightly on them, just like Sunny’s smile.

(The sun is nice, it gives them the warmth they’re missing and provides a light they can follow.)

Hikki/Omari follows the path to Basil’s house, listening to the cheery chirps of the birds and rustling of leaves. Gentle breezes blow in the Vast Forest, clear skies stretching overhead for miles. A soft magenta, filled with idealistic cartoons of space, reminiscent of her brother’s admiration for the outer world.