iii.

03m a c h i a v e l l i a n

03
m a c h i a v e l l i a n

I COULDN'T RUN back to my room fast enough

They had to have known I was right there because the door swung open after ten steps toward them. I dived backward for a corner in the wall and held my breath as they made their presence known.

Footsteps approached my still figure with an unsettling rhythm, echoing through the dimly lit corridor. I tried to steady my breath in an effort to not betray my position.

They were far enough down the hall to not directly see me, but I was tempting fate. It would take one stumble or one extra step for my cover to be blown.

"What are you doing?" A gravelly voice, laced with suspicion, cut through the silence. I pressed myself into the corner firmer, the cold wall rubbing against my bare legs.

"Heard somethin'," the other voice was a low, grim acknowledgment.

The first man made a small sound of disapproval, "We're the only people here, Creed."

He, Creed, chuckled lowly, the sound sending a shiver down my spine. "Well, Dimitri, I ain't imagining things. There's someone here."

I could feel myself get lightheaded from the breath I was holding, but I didn't dare to exhale. I slowly crouched so I was completely out of the light, the back of my thighs pressed firmly against my calves and my back against the wall. 

The footsteps continued and drew closer to my corner. Panic welled up in my chest as I scanned the route back to my room. Too far. It would take at least ten seconds to get back to my room— ten seconds too long. By the time I got to my door, they'd be alerted of my presence and no doubt follow me there.

Two figures came into view, two burly men, and they were shirtless with the most tattoos I'd ever seen on a person. The licks of black extended across their torsos and their necks, disappearing into their dark pants. They were tall enough to almost touch the ceiling, which was already high, and their shadows loomed even taller.