ix.

09i n d i c t m e n t

09
i n d i c t m e n t

HEROES OFTEN MET tragic ends

HEROES OFTEN MET tragic ends. There was something captivating, albeit sick, about watching the downfall of a good person. Someone who strived to embody morality, yet still succumbed to a kind of depravity that led to their demise. But then you had to ask, what was a good person?

Was it simply someone who does good deeds? Then, could a villain be good from just one good deed? Or, if it was someone who only does good, did you have to take one objective stance of what is 'good'? While I had no answers for any of this, I knew one thing to be abundantly true.

I was not a good person.

By any definition of the word, I could not be good. Perhaps someone, somewhere, would argue that I was a victim of my circumstances. How could anyone expect a girl who spent years of her life thinking murder was righteous to have any moral compass? Sure, I'd never murdered anybody, but since it couldn't be objective... there was nothing to say I didn't have a part in it.

I was the furthest thing from a hero. But tragic? That was closer.

Almost as tragic as Sophie's outfit.

Sophie emerged from her bathroom in her third outfit change. This time, it was a sparkly green top with red skinny jeans, paired with white snow boots. She beelined for her bedroom mirror, turning and twisting to view every angle. Sprawled across her bed, I watched her as she skittishly buzzed around. I felt something eerily close to pity as she swiveled to face me.

"What do you think of this one?"

I let my eyes drag down to assess her outfit, even though I already knew my answer. I briefly considered lying, but she looked like a tragic Christmas tree. While I never claimed to be good, I wasn't heartless.

"I think we've had better choices," I cushioned my disapproval. "Maybe try on the black shirt again." That one was just as abysmal, but at least it was black and couldn't be seen in dim lighting.