18. A Slave in a Cage

"Observe, Anna," Dolores whispered so closely to Anna's exposed left ear that she shuddered when she felt her hot breath. 

Delores wrapped her hands around her shoulders as she nodded to the mirror. 

Delores insisted that she help Anna dress up before they went out, so Anna was sitting in front of a table full of products and a mirror. She watched as Delores picked up a bottle of sunscreen and massaged it all across her face, and afterwards, she moved to apply a primer. 

Anna couldn't help it and said, "It's been a while since we last went to the Philippines..."

"We'll go soon." 

"...How soon?" 

Delores paused and chuckled, "You'll have time soon, little flower, I promise." 

Anna looked confused by what she meant but didn't press it further. 

She eyed her reflection carefully as Delores moved on to foundation and concealer. 

"Has...my aunts and uncles tried to contact me since...you know?" 

"They have." 

"What did they say? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because they were all annoying me. Your aunts, particularly on your Mother's side, kept badgering me for updates, and one even tried to convince me to hand you over to them in the U.S." 

"A-And you said no?" 

Powder, and then blush.

"I spent a great deal stealing you away from your Mother. Do you really believe I'd let all that investment go to waste?" 

"Investment?" 

"Yes. You are my investment. So do not disappoint me, little flower." 

Mascara, highlighter, then lipstick.

Anna looked to her lap, where she began to play with her fingers. 

She had heard the word 'investment' before from her Father's lips,

"Sika ken ti kabsatmo ti investment-mi. Ti panaglisi ti napanglaw a tao manipud kinapanglaw ket ti panangrugi iti pamilia nga addaan namnama a dagiti annakna ket makagun-od iti adayo a dakdakkel ngem kadagiti dadakkelda ken mangiranud kadagita a gasat kadakuada." ("You and your brother are our investments. A poor man's escape from poverty is to start a family with the hope that his children will achieve far greater than their parents and share those fortunes with them.").

Anna dug a nail deep into the skin of her finger as she ignored the pain. 

Investment. What a dull word. Is that the true purpose of family? 

Marry and procreate in the name of survival. Children should be no more than a slave to their parents and their ideals. 

She then moved her gaze to the image of the dull grey sky outside of her window. 

How dull, she thought. To be born into such a world. A sky without sunlight rays and blues, as cloudy as me. 

"So, Anna, can you remember all of the steps?"

She looked back up at her reflection in the mirror. Her face was covered with makeup this time, and she felt lost in the pretty stranger staring before her. 

"Sunscreen, primer, foundation, concealer, powder, blush, mascara, highlighter, and lipstick." 

Delores beamed as she touched her shoulders, "I think you are a natural. You can have some fun alone, and I expect you to do your makeup from now on. Do not disappoint me, Anna."