one rule // jeremy swayman

jeremy swayman

jeremy swayman.

word count: 5.1k

warning: explicit content

- - -

CHARLOTTE

Jake's always had one rule for me: Never, under any circumstances, get involved with any of his teammates. Especially not Jeremy Swayman— he's bad news.

At least, that's what I've always been told.

- - -

My name is Charlotte DeBrusk, and I'm the 23-year-old younger sister of the 27-year-old ice hockey winger, Jake DeBrusk. Jake has always been really protective of me, seeing as I'm four years younger than him. I'm grateful for that, truly, but sometimes I feel like he can go a bit...overboard.

He joined the team officially in 2017, but his "rule" started just about 3 years ago. That's around when he started to be a solid member of the team. I'm completely and utterly sick of it. It's almost as if I can't even as much as talk to one of his teammates without being glared at. I know that he worries about me, and I understand that, but I'm an adult. I can make my own decisions.

And I'd be lying if I said I didn't have eyes for any of them.

I'll be honest here— I think most of his teammates are...attractive. Some more than others, sure, but a lot of them have become my friends and I would never and could never see them in that way. A lot of them feel like brothers to me. Even the new ones. Especially the new ones from this year.

It just sucks that I feel like I can't even be around them without Jake seeing a problem. I've tried to talk to him about it so many times, begged him to let up on me, but he won't, and I don't know why. I finally managed to convince him to at least let me talk to some of them, but there's one in particular that he firmly stands his ground with.

Jeremy.

I don't know what it is about him that Jake is so adamant about me not getting involved with, but it pisses me off. He's such a sweet guy, and it really sucks that I feel as if I can barely see him at all, especially if Jake's around.

I've talked to Jake about some of his teammates' looks, mostly just saying if they're cute or not. Usually he doesn't mind, because he knows that I'm just joking around anyway and it's really not that serious. I wish I could say the same about Jeremy.

I won't lie— he's hot. Absolutely gorgeous. If I'm being honest, he's the one player that genuinely catches my eye, so it was a complete shock to me when Jake made his stance on him clear to me. He's sweet, he's a phenomenal goaltender, he's breathtakingly beautiful...yet I need to stay away from him?

I don't know. It just doesn't add up.

"Charlotte?"

My thoughts are thwarted by the sound of a familiar voice calling out my name, and I snap back to reality. "Huh?"