8 letters // jeremy swayman

jeremy swayman

jeremy swayman.

word count: 1.6k

no warnings

fic requested by the lovely @luvdevers! hope you like it pookie (:

- - -

For as long as you could remember, you and Jeremy were attached at the hip. The two of you reached every milestone in your lives together ever since you were kids. Anchorage, Alaska wasn't exactly small, but most of the people around you knew each other, so it was only natural that you and him became quite acquainted over the years.

What neither of you expected, however, was to end up in a relationship with each other.

He went to Colorado for a year, then to South Dakota, then to Maine for another three, all to play hockey in the bigger leagues. Although you were happy for the guy you considered to be your friend, the part of you that felt for him missed him more dearly than you ever wanted to admit.

The ever-burning thought of him leaving for Boston plagued your thoughts at a constant rate throughout his years in Maine. Each day was only one day closer to the inevitable, and the worst part was that you were completely in the dark about when it would even be.

So you admitted your feelings to him before he left, almost as a parting gift. But after hearing what you'd been harboring for years, he couldn't bring himself to go without you.

Of course, he felt the same; he was whipped from the start.

He asked you to go with him, all the way from Alaska to Boston. At first, you would've been dumb with laughter at such an idea—move 4,500 miles away from home, just for a relationship that you didn't even know would work out. It was outrageous. And completely idiotic.

But then again, you weren't exactly known to be the smartest at times.

As it turned out, he couldn't have made you any happier than he did, and you did the same for him. Everything went swimmingly, from the move itself up until recently when the two of you bought a new apartment together. Things were especially great now, as his performance levels skyrocketed and he was an NHL All-Star for the current season.

The Bruins were on a fairly gnarly loss streak; every game was going into overtime, and only a minuscule percentage of those games were actually wins. But they were back at home to play the infamous Golden Knights, who won the cup just last year, and the Bruins managed to snag their first regulation win since just after the All-Star break.

You were happily attending the game, and your seat was just behind the net that your boyfriend defended twice. Stoppages, TV breaks, penalties—any and every chance to skate toward you and shoot you a smile or wink, he took.

It was sweet, and every time you were reminded of why it was a good decision to go to Boston with him.

After the long-anticipated goalie hug, you made your way down to your car, then waited patiently for him to come out. When you saw him out of the corner of your eye, you nearly whipped the car door open and ran over, wrapping your arms tightly around his neck as you stood on your toes.