𝘪𝘮𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘣𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘦 - 07

❝ 𝐔𝐍𝐄 𝐕𝐈𝐄 𝐓𝐑𝐎𝐏 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐐𝐔𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐄 𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐔𝐍𝐄 𝐌𝐄𝐑 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐄

❝ 𝐔𝐍𝐄 𝐕𝐈𝐄 𝐓𝐑𝐎𝐏 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐐𝐔𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐄 𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐔𝐍𝐄 𝐌𝐄𝐑 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐄... ❞

❝ A life too quiet is a dead sea... 

<->

THE SOUND of rainfall on the roof of the house was loud and constant, like an angry, relentless knocking. It echoed through the empty rooms, shaking the walls and windows as if trying to break in. The sound was so intense, that it felt as if the raindrops were trying to force their way inside, as if the downpour had gained a mind of its own. The sound of the rain was all—consuming, drowning out all other sounds and making it impossible to focus on anything else.

Yvette's long green hair fell off her face like tall, swaying grass in a gentle breeze, covering her like a soft blanket. Her eyes slowly opened, revealing her sleepy, exhausted expression, as she groaned softly while stretched out on her desk. The weight of her own exhaustion bore down on her, making it difficult to move, the long night of investigating clearly taking its toll.

The haunting, yet soothing sounds of classical music poured out from the phonograph, gently filling the otherwise silent yet rumbling room with the melody of long-forgotten memories. The music was barely audible as if it were whispering to its listener, inviting her to slip into a dreamlike state.

"Ugh... What time is it?..." She glanced toward the grandfather clock standing tall in the corner of the library, its large, old-fashioned face showing an eerie stillness, despite the chaotic sounds of the storm raging outside. With only a couple of hours left before the early morning, she squinted to make out the time. The sight of the clock brought a sigh from her lips, and just then, a deafening crack of thunder shook the building, rattling the windows and making the cupboards of books shake.

The woman gazed at the rainy window, eyeing the raindrops splattered across the glass. She pressed her lips together tightly, her gaze piercing deep into the downpour as if it contained an enemy of some kind. "Hydro dragon...." She muttered to herself, "Hydro dragon, don't cry...." The words seemed to have no meaning behind them, and yet they carried a heavy weight of sadness and fatigue. She looked almost exhausted as if she'd been fighting a battle with the rainy day for far too long.

With a deep, weary sigh, Yvette let her head drop back onto the table, using her finger to turn off the melody of the phonograph, giving in to the exhaustion that had been plaguing her for far too long. She had been cooped up in the library for two weeks now, never stepping foot outside to play with her foster siblings, nor practicing her upcoming performance. Instead, she had buried herself in the case that started everything, her focus narrowing to only this goal. As she took in another heavy breath, she brushed back her bangs, her headache growing more intense with each passing moment. Why was she haunted by these dreams of her past? She didn't know. All she could do was keep her head down and push on, pushing through the pain to find the answers she sought.