1 (PART I)

DO NOT COPY, DISCLOSE OR SHARE ANY PART OF THE STORY.

The New Zealand, in 1897, was under the British dominion; many British people lived in Wellington.

The Earl Albert Swan had lived there for long time, in the upper blocks; he had moved with his origin family years earlier, from Sussex.

He had never married, he had some "kept women", but he was not suited for marriage.

At the age of thirty-seven he had a lover, a Spanish origin woman, who had a young daughter, (by a former lover of hers).

When the woman, who had a weak health, passed away, Lord Swan took the maintenance of her daughter. And since he had no heirs, he decided to legally adopt her: it was so that the little girl became Lady Roxanne Swan.

However, she had a quite undisciplined and rebel temper; over the years she had frightened away all her teachers, Lord Swan's punishments were useless.

Roxanne used to sneak away from home by climbing down out of the window to go to the beach, she used to ride her father's horse without permission, exhausting him to be obeyed and she shown her ankles and lose hair in public.

When she turned nineteen her father noticed she was looking like her mother, although she was not striking to the eye, but she was very different to the traditional English women, with darker skin and deep brown eyes.

She had such Mediterranean appearance that caught men's eyes.

However, Roxane, after her first Debut in Society, did not bear the suitors.

She hated the Debutants ball, she could not stand all this eyes upon her and all that people watching her as something to be bought!

She hated all those chats of maiden trying to impress the gentlemen, smiling and repeating the same things as trained pets!

On an occasion, Earl Swan received a young nobleman came to meet her and Roxanne had the idea of showing up wearing a man's suit! Clearly embarrassed, the gentleman left Swan house and never returned.

Lord Swan didn't know what to do with her. "At your age you should be already married", he used to say to her, "You have never married", Roxane replied, "But I have you to leave my properties to", her father said.

In her second Debut, Roxanne received some proposals, but she was determined to fright away her suitors.

However, Roxanne was becoming intrigued about intimacy between men and women. One day, went to the town library, she read a licentious book, with explicit pictures... in her eyes the intimate act seemed quite "bizarre" and she did not feel any attraction for it, but it rather intimidated her nearly.

Returning home, she was announced of a visit of a gentleman, awaiting for her. Annoyed by the umpteenth visit, Roxane showed up in the living room smoking one of her father's cigarettes; she found a clear-haired young man, with a bouquet of flowers, "Lady Swan", he said to her, "I must inform you that my father is not at home at the moment, Sir. So it would be better for you to return another day", Roxanne told him, the young man gave her the flowers and kissed her hand, "Louis St. Clare", he said, Roxanne threw the bouquet on the sofa, "The maid will accompany you at the door, Mr. St. Clare", she said to him, "And thank you for the flowers", she added.

Mr. St. Clare took his leave of her, quite disappointed by her behavior; Roxanne had seemed arrogant and haughty to him. He would not set foot in that house again, if it wasn't for he had decided to "give her a lesson".

Roxanne didn't say anything to her father about Sir Luis's visit. However she was surprised because she had never heard the name "St. Clare" before, her lady-in-waiting told her that the St. Clare family had left Wellington to return to England, "Recently I heard they have returned. They still have their estate here", said the maid, "Either way, I don't believe we will see that gentleman again", Roxanne commented.

But Roxanne had underestimated Louis St. Clare: he was a stubborn and peevish man and he had decided not to let go Roxanne's offense.

Two days later he visited the Swans again. This time Lord Swan was in; Roxanne was amazed to see Sir Louis again, she to have discouraged him the previous time. "Lord Swan, I humbly ask the permission to court your daughter", Sir Louis said,

"St. Clare. I remember your family. I thought you had left Wellington",

"We had, indeed. But the recent departed of my parents has urged me to return to sell our old estate, as their only heir",

"My condolences. So are you not planning to stay?",

"I don't think so, but I am open to every possibility", Roxanne, astounded by his proposal, intervened: "Perhaps we should get to know each other better first, Lord St. Clare",

"That is what courtship is for, milady",

"I think I must inform you I do not intend to leave my father and my hometown",

"I believe it is premature to talk about this, milady", Lord Swan proposed: "Why don't you accompany Mr. St. Clare to see the garden? So you'll have the opportunity to converse and begin your knowledge", Roxanne, reluctantly, went out in the garden along with Sir Louis.