17. Evil giraffe

I sit there for a few seconds longer, admiring the car again, before following him. A few fans spotted his car, visibly being confused, that I drove it. He waves and walks over to a tiny gate, starting to take a few pictures and sign. Some fans asked me too, but he, understandably, is the main attraction. I take a few pictures of him and his fans, for insta or something, I have no idea about social media management. After a good ten minutes, we make our way towards the paddock.

"How do you not get crazy or a headache of these girls screaming the whole time?" I ask since it looks exhausting to do this more often in a day.
"I block them out, I don't know, I just learned it over time. But it's making their day for me."
"Day? A few years ago, a signature of you would've made my life."
"Not anymore?" He asks jokingly, laying his hand on his chest in shock.
"Being around you is more valuable than a signature." I try to save my vague formulation.
"Good safe, Kayla." He laughs and bumps into me while walking.
"Landooo!" I almost tripped and get in position to jump back into his side. He sees me and prepares for the impact. I feel like hitting a rock wall. "Ouww" I silently say, holding my shoulder, regretting my choices. He laughs down at me, patting my shoulder, feigning pity. I pout and slap my flat hand against his chest.
"Poor dwarf" he says, patting my head now.
"Evil giraffe" I jump to slap my hand on the top of his head. He isn't really that tall, but for me, he is.

"Team meeting is in 4 minutes."
We just reached the paddock gates when Lando looked on his watch.
"Whoops, just say it was your fans that held us up or something."
"Orrrr, we could run..." he asks, looking like he just invented running.
"no...lando. No way."
"Then you'll be the only one being late." He starts running slapping on my shoulder as he runs off.
"Waiiit" I scream at him, having a head start.

I eventually catch up due to him slowing down a bit, looking back at me and waiting for me. Everyone looks at us confused, and some laugh. Entering the building, he looks on his watch. "two minutes late shit." he says while we are heading up the stairs. "Shit" I repeat as he knocks. "Heyy sorry, there were more fans than expected" He excuses us.
They didn't start yet, expecting us to be a bit late. We sit down on both sides of Oscar, give him a fist bump with a nod and smile, and put on our headphones.

The meeting is a bit boring for me, since I'm not racing and the strategies and settings of the cars, don't really affect me.
I rather think about the things I saw and how I'm gonna prove them. Lando was right, I don't really know what I'm gonna do during the race. But I can't really come up with anything else, then walk around and with a bit of luck seeing or finding something that would help me prove my accusations. I have a cap and glasses. I could tie up my hair or braid it. A bit of a different makeup, and maybe I won't stand out.

Oscar gives me a nudge with his elbow since the meeting is over and some guys of the team already left.
"Were you even paying attention, Kayla?" He asks, laughing, knowing the answer to his question.
"Maybe yes, maybe no"
"I hope you weren't thinking about this maFIA thing you talk about the whole time." He raises an eyebrow, pushing both our chairs back at the table as we stand up.
"Nahhh" I don't even believe myself anymore.
Oscar pushes me by my shoulder, signalling me to leave the room, too, because little Norris behind him is jostling. "I'm gonna go to the cafeteria." I state since it's 2 hours until the race.
"I'll join you, but I'm gonna go and have a quick talk with my engineer and head to my room." Lando answers
"I'll see if I can find Lily and ask her what she wants to do." Oscar says.
"Alriight, see ya or not." I wave at them and make my way to the cafeteria.