CHAPTER 15

In the year 435 AD Patrick arrived in Ardagh in County Longford. It was at Ardagh that Mel was consecrated bishop by Patrick himself. Later he would become known as Saint Mel of Ardagh.
Mel was dismissive of the surroundings. "I'm not going to settle here," he emphasised. "I'm a rover. I like to wander. I like seeing new places."
Patrick nodded.
"As it is written," he announced, refusing to be drawn into argument with Mel. He knew in his heart that his nephew was destined to be a wandering missionary and evangelist with no fixed 'See'.
Mel's rugged, outdoor looks showed he was the kind who liked getting his hands dirty.
Saint Rioc of Inisbofin settled there during the 5th century, absorbing himself not just in island life but in that of the language too - the old Gaelic. Rioc knew he was just playing a small part in Inisbofin's development and that a saint was coming who would truly evangelise the island - Saint Colman of Connacht during the 7th century.

Saint Reat was a deacon in northern Hibernia when Patrick arrived at his doorstep.

Saint Nenn. Written partially in both Latin and Gaelic the Vita Tripartita Sancti Patricii or Tripartite Life of Saint Patrick records Nenn, Aedh and Reat together in Derry. The Tripartite was written later than the events of the book but captured much of Patrick's endeavours.

Saint Aedh met up with Patrick in Derry with two of his brothers.

Saint Muinis of Forgney. Another Longford Saint who served the church as a bishop.

Saint Maelchu, yet another holy man associated with Darerca.

Saint Eiche of Kilglass and Saint Lalloc of Senlis; two of Darerca's four daughters, but brought up by Lupita.

Saint Sechnall of Dunshaughlin.
Aka by his Latin name Secundinus or as Sechnall Mac Restitiuit and a bishop of the church.
Saint Nectan of Killunche and Fennor next to Slane. It was said he was like the hound of Cu Chulainn in that he was the protector of a holy well. Holy wells were popular with those who were sick and seeking cures.

Saint Auxilius of Killossey near Naas was a Celt with a flair for languages that brought many folk into the fold.

Saint Diarmaid near Navan was known as a holy and just man. Diarmaid was the same age as Auxilius and Miduu and the others.
Saint Crummin of Lecua, Saint Miduu. Saint Carantoc and Saint Maceaith were also attributed to Darerca although the mists of time might have obscured some of these backgrounds. It was known they were all the same age and that their birthdays fell on the same day.

*

From Ardagh, Paddy pushed on.
He'd often noticed that when walking, counties could seem huge. Most days they managed a few miles and at a good push maybe twenty. Sometimes wooden carts were used with oxen deployed to pull heavy and awkward loads. Horses could also be used whilst chariots were expensive and out of reach.
He knew within himself that he wanted to visit every nook and cranny of the countryside and he strived towards that goal on a daily basis. He knew too that certain quarters had already been touched upon by men like Saint Declan. In his own ministry he had ordained men and women the length and breadth of the country and these good people were also out there evangelising, pushing the message of Christianity through. Paganism was beginning to fade as Christianity grew. The way of the Druids was broken. Certain things remained like the solstice at Newgrange. a column of stones forming a tunnel that was lit by the sun and signified a certain time of the year, a time when the sun was low on the horizon both at dawn and dusk and giving the appearance or impression that it hadn't moved. Such things were associated with the seasons and with growth on the land itself.