42.divorce

June '01 | H E R

Life can't catch a break.

Althea thought she'd give it a try. Things felt good for a change, like they were progressing, and she won't be seen sabotaging her own relationship.

The longer it went on, the more she thought how much bigger she may have built their disagreements up to.

Ha. Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Her father held a speech at the party, but since Draco pissed off before that—which was quite an exit—the toast he made for his daughter's blossoming, love-filled marriage caused a pressing silence.

Now, England can't shut up about it.

MALFOY HEIR ON WARPATH WITH HIS WIFE reads the newspaper in her hand, front fucking page. Some guests caught the fight and felt obligated to snitch—nothing specific, but the papers are ravaging over it the last few days.

It won't work out well for Draco's position as children's quidditch coach.

Anger sweeping over, she scrunches the newspaper into a ball before setting it aflame. The ashes give little consolation.

"The world should know who they have to deal with," Rhode says.

"It's out of context," Thea finds herself defending. As conflicted as she may be, prying into other peoples lives is inappropriate and always out of context.

"The context being that he got handsy beforehand?" Rhode argues. "He got lucky no one saw that part."

Yes, that is where Althea is at her wit's end.

Her eyes land on the mark bruising Rhode's wrist. It was sprained but she got it healed at Mungo's, though the discoloration is not fading as easily. "How did that happen again?"

She's asked this Rhode whenever the topic came up, which is a lot in the last three-ish days. She knows the answer by heart, because it's always the same and reason why she can mouth it as Rhode replies.

"I ran into him in the corridor and he looked almost disturbed. I felt a little sorry for him, so I tried to help, told him I'd get you but then he took me out of nowhere and... you know the rest."

The same, down to the pause in speech.

That night, after Draco left with a pang, Althea went back to find out what happened. She wasn't as deeply confused in her entirely life.

Rhode was forlorn, rubbing her wrist. Basil was rubbing her shoulder, vibrating with his own kind of temper but kept it in for his sister. When Thea demanded to know what was going on—the whole thing seemed off what with how self-ironic Draco reacted outside—Rhode started to cry.

"I think he was forcing my hand down to his crotch but you came before he could," she said, starting to sob. Thea never saw Rhode cry once. "I've never felt so violated in my life."

It took a little to calm her down and Thea had to eventually leave for her father's speech, but the whole time she felt angry.

Angry because he was so cryptic. Angry cause he was being immature. Why would he leave when he has nothing to hide? Angry because it doesn't sound like him at all, seizing control over someone like that. The look in his eyes had been pure madness. She was angry because he makes her question him triple as much after doing so well, goddamnit.

She tried not to be angry, because she needed to hear out Draco first, but all evidence spoke against him that moment.

Now, days after, she's not feeling much different due to his absence. Lorry assured Thea that he is home, just not leaving his room.