Chapter 22 - Safety

"That fast?!"

Tempest was looking at Ash in complete shock as he slowly nodded his head. Doing the math, they would be able to make their food stores last until the end of this week, giving them four days, but after that, they would have nothing.

"Four Pokémon go through food a lot faster than one, especially with all the uh.. extravagant meals you and Vanessa have been making. All of the stores in town are closed, and I'm not willing to go and bargain with other mons who are probably losing their minds cooped up in their own sweat and tears. The only option that leaves us with is going out, and convincing the guards to let us forage for a while."

Tempest shook his head, leaving his guitar in his lap as he held his paws out in front of him.

"Woah woah woah, what's this "us" business? I'm willing to go, but you're in no shape to step outside. One of the other two will need to come with me, or I go by myself."

Ash looked shocked, not even having tried to imply that he should be the one to go, as much as he could use some fresh air. The Flareon grunted, glaring at Tempest.

"Yeah yeah, I get it, I'm not on the A-list right now, don't rub it in. That said, good luck convincing either of the girls to go with you."

Tempest's ears dropped slightly, Ash making a good point. Tempest wasn't even sure he wanted to go out, since he was the most suspect of any other Pokémon. At least, that was how it felt, it could all just be inside his head. How was he going to talk Aria or Vanessa into taking such a risk with him?

"Another thing to consider is.. maybe we just send Aria and Vanessa together. They can fend for themselves pretty well, and they're both well known, calm residents, never bothered anybody. Aria can carry a lot of stuff with psychic, and apparently Vanessa can carry a lot of weight too, so.."

Tempest considered the option, and it wasn't a bad one in the slightest. For him, though, it just wasn't on the table.

"Sorry, but.. no. If something happened to either of them and I wasn't there, I wouldn't forgive myself. Protecting you all is the least I can do to thank you for trying to keep me out of harm's way and letting me stay here."

Ash nodded his head in understanding, feeling the same sentiment. Aria and Vanessa could easily fend for themselves. In fact, Aria was probably far better composed than he ever would be, but it didn't stop him from worrying.

"I get where you're coming from, but.. just consider it. You're not just a stranger we're being nice to, you're our friend, we get just as worried about you getting hurt, even though you seem to bounce back from concrete like a spring."

Ash chuckled at the confused Tempest, reaching over his bountiful chest fluff and tapping his shoulder. Once Tempest understood, he grinned, leaning in for his retaliation.

"Says you. If I had taken any of the blows you did, I'd probably have to be taken down to the Pokémon center to be taken care of. You're built like a wall, mon."

Ash rolled his eyes, fur puffing up as his pride skyrocketed. Even when down for the count and immobile, he still couldn't help but have a bit of an ego.

"Well, one day, we can put that to the test. You and me, one on one, no move restrictions, only tournament rules. All out."

Ash gave the Jolteon a resolute grin, sticking one of his paws out in front of him. The two locked eyes, Tempest accepting his paw and firmly shaking it with his own.

"Deal."

The heat of the room rising with their adrenaline, they both sat back and took a deep breath, digressing back to the topic at hand. Ash cleared his throat, his face slowly returning to that of a serious older brother.