fourteen

N.Y.C.

My heart raced as I walked into my apartment building. I had such a shit day and the only place I wanted to be was in my bed, or kitchen, depending on how appetizing the food I had was. Probably not very, hence why on my way home I stopped at my favorite bakery, only to find it closed.

That chocolate croissant was probably the only thing that could've made it better.

"What's her deal?" I hear as I walk through the door, shutting and locking it behind me. I look up to see Danika on the couch with Kate, sharing a plate of pizza rolls.
"Don't know. What's wrong Avalon?"
"Nothing." I mutter, sliding out of my jacket and hanging it in the closet, which of course fell off the hanger.
"Bullshit. Talk." Danika called out.

"My days been shit! Everyone's been so rude to me."
"Everyone or a certain someone?" Kate said, beating around the bush.
"Becca! Her and I were in the studio and she completely ridiculed me for everything! She blamed shit on me and would pull the excuse that she was tired out of her ass every hour!" I vent. "I'm going to go shower, I'll be out in an hour." I say, avoiding talking with both of them about this more.

The shower felt good. I felt like I washed away the awful day. I covered my skin in serums and lotions before blowing out my hair. It was only 7 and I knew I wasn't going to bed for at least four hours, so I opted for sweatpants and a sweatshirt over a pj set.

I emerged from my room and Danika was still here. I liked Danika, I knew I could talk to her about anything, her life was like a book. Everything happened to her.

"You feeling better?"
"Yeah. I just can't deal with her sometimes."
"She's been really rude to you." Kate added.
"I've noticed that too. I go to lunch with her tomorrow, i'll talk with her then." Danika added.

My stomach was rumbling loudly. I had disregarded my hunger due to my anger. Nothing in the kitchen sounded good so I cuddled up with my girls watching Jersey Shore.

"Avalon your phones ringing!" Danika yelled when she went to the kitchen to get some wine.
"Who is it?!"
"Becca." She said, returning with a slightly amused face, my phone, and a glass of red.

"Hey." I say, waiting for her to talk.
"Hi. I'm sure you are probably mad at me." She points out the fucking obvious.
"I am."
"I'm sorry. I know I was totally rude to you
and I hate myself for it. Not to make excuses, but there's just a bunch of stress on me with my parents, music and brand deals. I took it out on you and that's totally uncool of me. Are we cool?"

Are we cool?

No.

"Yeah. We all have those days." I shrug off, there was no winning in a fight with Becca. She had every excuse in the book, and she always pulled the Divorced Parent card when she knows she has no chance of winning.
"Great! I'll see you tomorrow, love you Ava."
"Love you too Becs." I say nonchalantly before hanging up the phone.

"So you guys are fine now?" Kate asks.
"You know there's no chance or winning with her. Plus I don't want to start anything before this weekend." I say and they all accept it.

A knock sounded from the door and we all looked at each other, waiting for someone to grab it.
"I'll get it." I sigh, walking up to the door, almost tripping over my own feet as I did.

I heard faintly as I got close to the barrier:

"Maybe we have the wrong apartment."
"No this is hers."
"Are you sure? Why don't you just text h-"

"Hello?" I say as I open the door, but my reaction completely changed when I saw who was on the other side. "What the fuck!"
"Surprise!" Harry said with a huge grin, holding a white bag and a huge bouquet of red and white flowers.

I never would have done this, but after the day I had and the lack of communication, I hurled myself into his arms and he wasted no time hugging be back. He walked us deeper into my apartment as he embraced me in his arms. I knew I could confide in him, I trusted him.

I stepped out of the hug and finally noticed the four other guys who were also behind him. I hugged Niall right away as well and also gave the other three a warm hug.

"I can't believe you're here!"
"Neither can we." Niall sighed.

After mumbling, Liam left with Louis and Zayn. Probably going to surprise their chicks. Leaving Niall and Harry with us three. Niall quickly became sucked into the addiction that is reality TV, leaving Harry and I together.

"Here is a lovely bouquet of flowers to match the lovely girl i'm giving them too." He handed my the mixture of red and whites, I took a moment to take the thought and sight in before setting them down on the counter.

I led him to my room for more privacy where he surprised me with his second gift. "I also couldn't come visit you with out your favorite, Chocolate Croissants from Maria's." He hands me over the white bag which sure enough, had two croissants in.
"How? I went like an hour ago and her shop was closed."
"I called her shop and told her to save two for me. She kept her shop open, even though they had sold out at 2, just. for. me." He said with a stupid grin.

A tear fell from my eye looking at him, which I assumed weirded him out.
"You ok?" He asked with full concern.
"I've just had a really shit day." I admit, breaking down slightly as he pulls me into his arms. His hand ran in slow circles on my back for a few minutes before I composed myself. "Thank you."
"Of course. This is why I've been so busy, management never gives us days off but I spent the last month trying to convince them, and I did!"
"How long are you here for?" I ask.
"Until November 1st. It's not very long but it's better then nothing."

We had four whole days together. Best believe I was going to make the most of them.

I skipped out of my room and flipped into Niall's arms on the couch. He had become a best friend of mine within a month and a half.

"I missed you Irish boy."
"I missed you American girl." He said, accepting the hug I was giving him. "Thanks to Haz, we were able to come see you guys. This was all him." He said, looking up at the guy with a gleam of admiration in his eyes.
"Thanks Ni. I knew I had to make it happen." He said, sitting down next to me, so I was in between him and Niall. Kate paused the TV.

"So what are our plans this weekend?"
"Well we have a party every night." I groaned.
"That's fine. I'll party." The two boys shrugged. "We should probably get back to the hotel. It's late and i'm sure you have stuff to do." Liam stood up.
"I'll see you tomorrow." Harry says, turning to me and gifting me a forehead kiss.

My heart clenched slightly as I saw him walk out the door. Even thought we'd be seeing each other in no more than 16 hours, it still hurt seeing him go.

Right then I knew I could never lose him.