chapter 14

They arrived at the Jeon house, both breaking into smiles when they saw Jungkook's mother and father standing at the door, waiting for them along with Jungkook's little brother.

Jungkook ran to hug his parents while Taehyung walked slowly behind, carrying their bags. He could feel the light and welcoming atmosphere here—something he had never managed to feel in his own house.

Mrs. Jeon opened her arms first, but to her dismay, Jungkook ran to his father instead. With an exaggerated eye roll, she looked at her second son, who was also eyeing the hugging pair with envy.

"Brat," she muttered with a fond smile. Then, turning to Taehyung, she asked, "Taehyung, how are you, son?" She wrapped him in a warm hug.

"I'm good, Mum. How are you?" Taehyung replied, breaking the hug gently.

"We’re fine. It’s so good that you’ve taken a break. It’s been too long since we’ve spent time together," she said, getting emotional.

"Mom, stop being dramatic. We just saw each other two months ago," Jungkook teased, still clinging to his father's arms.

"Did you all forget that I’m here too? Hyung, you forgot me again!" Yuhan, Jungkook's 13-year-old brother, said with a pout.

"Omo, sorry bub, I didn’t forget you. I just missed Appa so much," Jungkook said, pulling Yuhan into a hug.

"More than me?" Yuhan asked, his eyes wide, matching Jungkook's doe-eyed expression.

"Umm, I have to say yes," Jungkook teased, grinning mischievously.

"Okay, so you miss your father more than me? The one who gave birth to you? Do you even know I had to get a C-section to bring you into this world?" Mrs. Jeon said dramatically, making everyone chuckle.

"Let’s give them refreshment already; we’ve been standing at the doorstep talking nonstop," Mr. Jeon finally said, prompting Jungkook to lead his mother and brother inside, still teasing and laughing.

"So, how are you?" Mr. Jeon asked, not realizing that he and Taehyung had been left behind with the bags.

"I’m fine, and you? How’s work going?" Taehyung asked as they walked slowly toward the house.

"Well, I’m still young, so work’s going smoothly, no worries," Mr. Jeon replied, playfully implying he was still in his twenties.

Taehyung chuckled. "Well, you certainly look the part, no doubt about that."

"Mr. Jeon, leave my son-in-law alone for a moment, please. You can go to your son now," Mrs. Jeon said, pulling Taehyung away as Mr. Jeon shook his head at his jealous wife.

"How is it?" Mrs. Jeon asked, having made a special strawberry smoothie for Taehyung.

"As always, Mum, top-notch," Taehyung said, enjoying the refreshing drink she had prepared for him.

"Here, Hyungie! I got a new bat. Now that you’re here, you have to play with me," Yuhan said, showing off his new toy.

"Does Mum know?" Jungkook asked his father as they stood in the hallway.

"No, you know how soft-hearted she is. I don’t think she could handle it without breaking down," Mr. Jeon replied, watching Taehyung chatting freely with his wife and son.

"That’s true. Yuhan would probably cry a river if he found out his favorite Hyungie is sick," Jungkook added quietly.

"Kookie, are you okay? You don’t have to hide it if it’s getting too overwhelming," Mr. Jeon said, noticing Jungkook’s eyes filling with tears. Jungkook hugged his father tightly.