Chapter 1

"Caitlyn, this is a process, okay? But it's important for you to remember that the only person who can save us is ourselves." Mark said to Caitlyn while Renfield looks at Sebastian who was sitting next to him. "He's a monster. A goddamn fucking monster. That's what he is." Caitlyn said to the support group and she heavy, shuddering breaths. "But I can't seem to get away from him." Caitlyn said to them. "Do you remember what drew you to Mitch in the first place?" Mark asks her. "We met at work, and... he was charming and mysterious. He wined and dined me and took me traveling, and...he told me it was me and him against the world. He made me feel important." Caitlyn said to them making Sebastian and Renfield lock eyes.

Hello. My name is Robert Montague Renfield. And just like all these decent folks, I am in a destructive relationship. Maybe we should just back up to the beginning.

In the early 20th century

Renfield arrives at then old castle as thunder crashes were Dracula was waiting for him. "Mr. Renfield, I bid you welcome. I am...Dracula." Dracula said to him as a wolf howls in distance. Renfield takes his hat off and he sees a guy behind Dracula who he thinks is Sebastian, Dracula's son. 

When I met him, I was a real estate lawyer hoping to make a deal that would change my life and my family's lives forever. Oh, and it most certainly did.

Dracula reads over Renfield's paper work while Renfield watch Sebastian who was leaning on the wall. "You will make a very good assistant, Mr. Renfield." Dracula said to him.

I understand how Caitlyn feels. He also wined and dined me. He made me feel important. He introduced me into high society. We went to the theater. We traveled to exotic places. And then he made me his familiar. Which means that I take care of Master's every need. Including staff changes and arranging his special dietary requirements. Look, I didn't just jump into serving the Prince of Darkness. We had some great times. But just like all great times...they come to an end. 

"Renfield." Renfield wakes up when he hears Sebastian calling him. Renfield sits up and he sees Sebastian infront of him. "The hunters have returned grab your bugs and lets go." Sebastian said to him making Renfield and he grabs his little coffin that holds the bugs inside.

Ah, yes. The bugs. This comes up a lot. Dracula's powers come from consuming human life. Mine come from eating bugs. Make sense? Great. Now, where were we?

Sebastian and Renfield run thought the castle to go to the main room where Dracula was in the air around a glowing blue circle with a Priest holding a crucifixion and a book. "Sh-Sh-Sh-Shit." Renfield said to himself as Dracula and the Priest turn to the two. "This is a protection circle. He cannot escape. Let us rid this world of his evil, and you two can finally be free!" One of the hunters said to the two. "Free?" Dracula said then he scoffs then he looks over at the two. "The moment I'm gone, they will lock you away for what you've done for me Renfield and my son..." Dracula said to them, then he looks at Sebastian. "You will not have a family anymore." Dracula said to him making Sebastian look away from him. "And Renfield, I am your only salvation. I am your only friend. I am the only one who cares for you."

I actually remember thinking, "He really, really means it this time."

Renfield then kicks his shoe off making it cut the circle that was holding Dracula. "Renfield! We are the last of our kind. From now on, every drop of blood Dracula spills will be on your hands." Priest said to him then Dracula jumps at the Priest turning into smoke. The smoke goes into Priest's mouth then few minutes later the Priest explode in a lot of pieces.

Fuck. I was not expecting that.

The last human grabs his crossbow and he arrows and shots the curtain letting the sunlight in. Dracula gets set on fire from the sun making him scream in pain.

Or that.

Dracula jumps at the last guy while still on fire making the guy set on fire too. The two fall on the floor and Dracula starts clawing at the guy's chest making him scream in pain. Renfield grabs the curtain and he runs over to Dracula and he takes out the fire with the curtain while Sebastian walks over to them. "Master, you okay?" Renfield asks him. "No." Dracula said to him while the two see Dracula was so burn like he was in a fire. "Yeah." Sebastian said to himself as he and Renfield look at each other.

This is a fairly typical result. At the peak of his powers, Dracula goes on a full-tilt blood-sucking bender, the good guys show up and do their thing, and then it's up to me and his son to clean up the mess.

It's what I call our transitional period.

So we take him to a new city, nurse him back to full power, find a decent place to ride it out until the whole cycle starts all over again.

Present Day - New Orleans

Sebastian and Renfield were in a restaurant named Mulates. "You find anything?" Sebastian asks Renfield who nods no. "No and yes." Renfield said to him as he makes a circle on the new but the pen was not working. "I am starting to get sick of this." Sebastian said to himself making Renfield look at him. "He's your father." Renfield said to him making Sebastian look at him. "A father who will kill me if he wants to." Sebastian said to him slowly Renfield holds onto Sebastian's hand. "He will never do that." Renfield said to him. "I know my father, he will do it if he has too." Sebastian said to him making Renfield sigh a little. Sebastian moves his hand away from Renfield as a waitress walks over to their table. "Uh, excuse me." Renfield calls her making the waitress look at him. "H-Hi. May I borrow a pen, please?" Renfield asks her and she hands him the pen. "Thank...you." Renfield said to her but the waitress walks away from them.

Which brings us back here. In the meantime, we come here and listen to these poor souls talk about their monsters. 

"You were just talking about Mitch, what..." Mark said to Caitlyn. "I know this is, like, way down the list of bad stuff, but he's also really into ska." Caitlyn said to Mark. "The kind of music?" Mark asks her. "Yes. Fishbone, Mustard Plug, Voodoo Glow Skulls." Caitlyn said to them. "I fucking hate that shit!" Bob yelled making Renfield jump a little while holding Sebastian's hand. "I'm so sorry, Caitlyn. I'm so...Mark, I am...I'm so sorry." Bob said to them. "It's okay." Mark said to him. "Is that the one that's 99% horns?" Carol asks Caitlyn. "Yeah, see, that's what I was thinking." Jayden said to Carol. "No. That's a huge oversimplification of ska's innovative contribution to music." Caitlyn said as she starts crying. "Oh, my God, who am I?" Caitlyn cries out then Renfield starts coughing making Sebastian look at him. "Renfield?" Mark calls him making Renfield look at him. "Hmm? Sorry, no, I swallowed a bug. Unintentionally." Renfield said to them. "What-what other way is there to..." Carol said to herself. "Would you like to share your story?" Mark asks him making Renfield shake his head. "No. Thank-thank you. I don't think you'd understand." Renfield said to him. "I know it's scary. And you think things are never gonna change, but I promise you, one day you're gonna realize that you can have the life that you want. But in the meantime, I just hope that you get something out of coming here." Mark said to him as everyone looks at him. "I am." Renfield said to him. "That's great." Mark said to him with a smile.

Oh, yes, I'm getting something out of coming here: victims. But not these victims.

"Let's do our affirmations." Mark said to them. "I am enough, and I have enough. I deserve happiness. I am grateful for all that I am, and I take full charge of my life today." The group say together but Sebastian and Renfield stare at them. 

They can repeat these affirmations all they want. It'll never make their problems go away. But I can. Now, no one's ever gonna call me a hero, but I've come up with a mutually beneficial solution for people like Caitlyn: get rid of their monsters by giving mine what he needs.

"We are going what?" Sebastian asks Renfield as the two leave the building. "If we have them we can give them to your father." Renfield said to him as the two walk down the street. "You sometimes have the crazy ideas." Sebastian said to him making Renfield stand infront of Sebastian. "Think about it, we will feed him humans who are bad people and we don't have to feed him good people like that group." Renfield said to him making Sebastian think about it. "Fine, we will do that." Sebastian said to him making Renfield smile at him.