Chapter 9

"It's really beautiful here," Suzanne said, looking out the hotel window as the sun came up over the buildings in town.

Ted walked over and slipped his arms around her waist, peeking through the window. "That's got to be the prettiest sunrise I've seen in a long time." He said, kissing her cheek.

"So, are we staying here for the rest of the week, or should we explore more?" she laughed softly.

"I think we should do some exploring." he said. "The morning train would take us back south to Oklahoma City. We could stay there a few nights before we head home."

"I guess we should get dressed and pack our things, then," she turned around in his arms and stretched up on her tip toes to kiss him.

"If we must," he grinned.

It was still early, so once they packed and came downstairs to check out of their hotel room, there was still plenty of time to have breakfast in the dining room before the train left. The man working at the front desk offered to have their bags delivered to the train depot just up the street, which left them with nothing to worry about other than what they were going to order for breakfast.

A short while later, they walked down the boardwalk towards the train depot. Suzanne was hanging on his arm as they talked and laughed, when she suddenly saw something across the street that caught her attention and she stopped in her tracks. Ted felt like his arm was nearly yanked off, but turned back to see what she was looking at. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"That looks like Ms. Desmond!" she whispered, pointing to a very average looking woman across the street. Ted looked, but the woman looked like every other woman in town. Nothing flashy or out of the ordinary.

"Are you sure that's her?"

"I'm certain of it. You don't think they've loaded our trunks onto the train yet, do you?" she looked up at him.

"We haven't purchased tickets yet, so I'd imagine not."

"Do we have time to send a telegram to Morgan?" she asked. She hadn't taken her eyes off the woman.

"I don't think so. Look what she's carrying."

Suzanne looked at Ms. Desmond's hand and realized she was carrying a suitcase. "Do you think she's leaving town?"

"Well, it would make sense if she's trying to stay ahead of any lawmen, she'd travel light."

"She'd recognize me, but she probably wouldn't recognize you!" she suddenly said. "Maybe you can get in line behind her at the station and we can get tickets on the same train as her."

"That's what you want to do for our honeymoon?" he grinned.

"We can extend our honeymoon!" she said. "But we may never be able to find her again if she gets on that train!"

"Yes ma'am," he pulled her along the board walk, making sure to stay far enough back that the woman wouldn't notice them. He made sure she was indeed purchasing a ticket on the train and he walked up behind her by himself, leaving Suzanne in the shadows to watch.

"She purchased a one way ticket to Wichita," Ted said, returning to where Suzanne was waiting. "I bought two for the same train, but how do you suppose we follow her? If we're on the same car she is, she's bound to see you. But if we're on a different car, she might give us the slip."

"Well, she can't possibly know we're following her." Suzanne said as he led her across the street towards the train platform.

"That's true. So we have to stay close enough that we can see if she gets off before Wichita," he said. "They're loading our trunks now."