5 - Run

"What have we here then?"

The oldest Elder stepped in front of Evelynn, looking up at her on the platform. His eyes twinkled with a twisted kind of amusement. It made Evelynn feel sick seeing him entertained by the thought of killing teenagers.

"Well," The Elder insisted, after he received no response, "Who are you?"

Evelynn stared him down, her gaze unwavering. "I won't let you do this."

He choked a laugh, horrid and cruel. "And pray tell how a young girl like yourself will fight off my guards and fellow Elders?"

Evelynn glanced back at Tedros, her heart breaking seeing the fear in his eyes.

Before she could reply, she was cut off by the sound of her own name.

"Lynn! What are you doing!?"

Cody and Avery had pushed their way to the front of the crowd, out of breath and red faced.

"Ms Semis? Is this your daughter? The one that returned only a few weeks ago?"

Avery nodded. "Please, she's not herself. Don't punish her."

"But how could I ignore this act? Especially from a girl that's been influenced by the world beyond the woods." He glared at Agatha, Callis and Tedros as if they were filth. "She's one of them."

"Maybe I am."

Cody shook his head, taken aback. "Lynn what are you saying!?"

Evelynn ignored her brother, still staring at the Elder. "You're stupid for thinking these two are a threat to you. Agatha is a kind soul, far from a witch, and Tedros is a Prince, he's not a villain."

Understanding dawned on Cody and Avery, they exchanged a look. "He's the prince."

The Elder's face reddened with anger, he stepped up onto the platform briskly, pointing at Tedros. "He just confessed to being the one that destroyed our town! The town that we're still repairing!"

"Well maybe it helped you open your eyes a little, there's more to this world than Gavaldon. And you're hiding it from all of these citizens!" Evelynn gestured to the crowd, who all watched the scene, speechless.

"Why you pest." the Elder snarled.

"Rodent." Evelynn retorted.

He glared at her. "Burn her with the rest of the outsiders." He declared, waving a dismissive hand.

"NO!" Avery shrieked.

Agatha released a cry through her gag, Tedros thrashed against the ropes confining him, meeting Evelynn's eyes for a split second. There was one word in that look:

Run.

Evelynn lurched forward, but the guards seized her arms too quickly, holding her back as she twisted in their grip.

Cody tried to push himself onto the stage, but one of the guards kicked him in the chest, sending him back onto the ground with a thud. He scrambled back up, shouting with panic in his eyes. "I won't let you take her! Not again."

Evelynn blew out a short breath, there were too many sounds, too much shouting, too much panic. She could barely think straight with all of this excess stimulation.

Her mum crying, her brother yelling, Agatha's muffled protest, the Elders and guards arguing away and the mutter of the crowd was beginning to become insufferable.

Evelynn closed her eyes, shook her head, then yelled: "SHUT UP! "

Everyone paused to gawk at her, even the guards momentarily loosened their grip on her arms.