Page 11

The first day of travel was uneventful, except for some gunfire off in the distance. Charles fought with all his strength to keep up. There were times I thought he wouldn't make it another step.

We set up camp for the night and he passed out on the cot in the tent. I knew he'd end up like Bethany... eventually I will too. I just hope Rob can handle it when it's my time.

Sunrise came quicker today; Charles was quiet for most of the night. When he finally came out of the tent for breakfast I nearly screamed. His skin was turning red, his boils were black, and he looked like a melted wax statue.

Charles hobbled to the fire for his meal, nearly collapsing into the firepit.

"How are you alive," George said in a shocked tone.

"I-I," Charles snarled, "I don't know."

*     *     *

Rob pulled John and George to the side, "He is starting to look like those things," Rob paused, "he's turning fast."

"Should we go ahead and take care of him now, before he has a chance to attack anyone," asked George.

"I'll give him mercy, same as Bethany," Rob took a long pause, "There is no reason for either of you to bloody your hands. John, go with Beth, take her around the corner or something."

All I remember from the rest of that day was Charles attacking me and the sound of gunshots. I woke up a few days later with scratches all over my arms and face.

George had carried me on his back thewhole way... I'm glad he is here, Rob would probably have left me by now, afterall, I'm just a body to fill those bags like Bethany, Jim... and now Charles.