Chapter 2: Competition

Author's Note: Big thanks to everyone who's made it this far, you all give me life. Special shout outs to Blueknigtskeleton for helping beta read the previous chapter, @LockusPockus on Twitter for doing the chapter art(that I commissioned from him), and @Kris_Does_Twt for doing the cover art(which I also commissioned). I love hearing you all so please comment and critique!!!

July 23rd, 2033
7:30 PM

The foliage of the Forbidden Forest shrouded the Slytherin classroom in shadow as they walked across a narrow path. It was only considered such due to the contrast of light green grass on a dark green canvas. Wario had turned all the lights off in his room, but still struggled to make out the silhouettes of the classmates in front.

Following launch day, news about the MMO continued to fill discussion boards and news sites. Every hour of the following weeks, countless articles on newly discovered strategies and bosses cluttered the front pages of gaming sites. A new boss was being discovered at least twice a day, most of them in the Forbidden Forest. The ones in there all awarded fifty points to the house of the player who dealt the final blow, so needless to say, all the houses across the servers were taking advantage.

As recently as two weeks ago, the headmaster updated the schedule to allow all four houses to enter the forest at eight pm to challenge the bosses. Technically, there were no rules forbidding entrance early, it was just there to encourage them to take time to prepare. The rest of the week was spent stocking up on items for potions and crafting, as well as grinding against common enemies.

Wario had spent this week venturing far outside Hogwarts, looting every area he found and slaughtering every monster in his path. Many of the places farther from the Forbidden Forest had stronger enemies. The timberwolves in the furthest reaches could kill him with one hit, but he quickly found a way around it. He'd capture a lone timberwolf once its health was low, then level it up and release it to take out whole packs of the beasts. The exp was split fifty fifty between beast and tamer, and gained experience was in the tens of thousands.

In a single week, he'd gotten up to level twenty eight, while almost every other student in Hogwarts was in the early tens range. His wolf was also a powerhouse, with her level already nearly maxed out, just shy of reaching level fifty. He'd brought her in a large cage which he carried in both his hands. Once he brought his baby out, he'd score an easy kill for the team.

After what felt like an hour of walking, the line stopped. Wario could hear the faint sound of chatter further up the line, which grew closer as a tall silhouette approached. He scowled, knowing who it was. BlackSugaCaptain94, aka Miss Syrup. The head of the house, and reemerged like a cluster headache. Once she got close, she shoved the seven foot man down and stood above him.

She stared at him with emerald eyes above sea blue eyeshadow, her mouth twisted into a stern frown, pressing her dark red lips. Her pearl and gold bracelets, silver snake earrings, and platinum skull necklace were dim like lightbulbs covered in ash. Her sleeveless pink crop top and short black jacket looked fresh, while her purple flare pants had large spots of fading mud on the lower halves. She straightened her pink newsboy cap then spoke.

"I don't know what you've been doing, but you're clearly up to something. I'm only gonna let you in to earn the class more EXP, but don't make this a curbstomp. You'll only attack when I make the call."

"But Miss Syrup!" A Slytherin student spoke up "Bringing him in will also increase the boss' level. We may have to use his strength to defeat it in case we end up underprepared."

"It'll be alright." Syrup expression switched to a casual smirk as she patted the shorter girl " I'll make the call whenever you guys need time to heal up. Now, does everyone have their strongest armor equipped?" She walked back up the line as everyone in it shouted "Yes" or similar replies "Alright! Let's charge in and squish that pest!"