Chapter 5

Rosie nearly jumped up in surprise at the frantic knocking on her door, the echoes reverberating through her apartment walls.

She knew it was Jennie, and yet, she was still a bit surprised.

Jennie Kim, just like her friends, had never really taken to knocking.

At least as far as Rosie knew, anyway.

"Rosie!" Jennie called exasperatedly, deciding to screw formalities and push the door open regardless of Rosie's position. "We have to move!"

Rosie glanced up at her from her position on her couch, laptop hot on her lap as she listened to the rhythmic ringing of her outgoing Skype call.

Rosie was probably saying bye to Aden.

Jennie's gaze softened immediately as she trailed off. "I can come back." She murmured.

"No, you're fine." Rosie patted the seat beside her on the couch, and Jennie padded over silently, sitting with her knees up, hugging them as she eyed the screen, and then her best friend's gaze.

"Aden?" Jennie asked gently, heart warming just thinking of the boy with bright eyes and his love for Rosie.

Rosie nodded. "I...I promised him I'd say goodbye, in case I wouldn't be able to call him while we were at the reunion."

Jennie frowned. "Aren't you bringing your laptop?"

Rosie hummed her affirmative response.

"Then why don't you just call him and stick to your schedule?" Jennie asked genuinely.

Rosie made a face. "I...wasn't sure what I was going to be doing. I wanted to be committed to your cause fully, without distractions, and I...." she trailed off. "I didn't want to get his hopes up."

Jennie's hand slid over Rosie's as she squeezed gently, reassuringly. "Ro, you know that this is important to me. Of course I want you to have time for things like this."

Rosie looked surprised, her eyes widening a little, allowing light to flood their verdant depths.

"You...you do?"

"Yeah..." Jennie nodded. "I know how much it means to you, and Aden, and I would never infringe on that-"

Rosie looked slightly emotional, but before Jennie could finish, Aden's beaming face filled her screen as the call connected.

"Rosie!" Aden's voice was alight with childish glee upon seeing what was, essentially, the best role-model in his life.

"Hey, Aden." Rosie greeted softly, a smile melting onto her features as she subconsciously brushed her thumb over Jennie's hand.

Jennie reddened, inhaling at the touch, before she realized Rosie was doing it subconsciously.

"Is JenJen there?" Aden asked hopefully.
Rosie rolled her eyes, pivoting the computer slowly so that the lens adjusted to Jennie's smiling face, cheeks still a bit rosy. "She's here, too."

Aden grinned once more. "Hey Jennie!"
Jennie waved to him. "Hey buddy. How's it going?"

"Good!" Aden smiled proudly, turning his head to grab something, when Rosie noticed a large black looking spot on the side of his forehead.

She gasped and Jennie nearly jumped at the sudden change in Rosie's demeanor.

"Aden..." Rosie began, trying to contain her fear and what sounded a lot like rage. "What...what's that on your forehead?"

Jennie looked concerned. Rosie had said Aden's latest foster parents had been kind enough.
"Oh, this?" Aden shrugged nonchalantly. "I got hit playing hockey yesterday."