An Offer I Definitely Could've Refused

Azara let out a sigh, shoulders drooping at the tense atmosphere she had just walked right into. A metaphorical dark cloud seemed to hover over her head as she moodily watched the tense applicants before her.

"I'm so bored," she whined, before suddenly, like the sun coming out from behind the clouds, her demeanor brightened and she perked up.

Ooh! I know! I can just scout out the competition while I wait!

With a mischievous cat-like grin and grabby hands, the girl slinked away from the wall she had been leaning against, and made her way through the crowd.

Hmm, I see an old man, a creepy clown... Ew. Some grotesque pin looking thing, a bald ninja egg head...

"Hey! You seem new here! I'm Tonpa, by the way, it's nice to meet you!"

Azara jumped, not expecting anyone in this type of environment to talk to some 12 year old girl. She turned her head, only to see some short stubby guy with a big nose making his way towards her. Turning around completely, she squinted at the suspicious smile his face occupied.

Azara frowned, raising an eyebrow. "You make it a habit of sneaking up on 12 year old girls, old man?"

A tick mark appeared on his forehead and the man scowled, before his expression suddenly shifted to showcase a strained grin, the edges of which were twitching. Azara smirked at the sight and the poorly muttered "brat" he let out. She turned her body and palm sideways to snicker behind her hand.

Tonpa cleared his throat, and she turned back to him, casting an uninterested gaze over his figure, while pretending to yawn. The man cleared his throat again, eyebrows twitching, though he kept his smile up for pretenses.

She applauded him for his efforts and he sweatdropped before clearing his throat yet again.

"Anyway, what's your name? I can tell you're a rookie because I've taken this exam 35 times, you could say I'm a seasoned veteran," he stated proudly. She sweatdropped at the proud attitude for something she definitely wouldn't be bragging about if she were him.

"Ha? 35 times? You seem pretty weak, old man." She stuck her tongue out mockingly while pulling her under eyelid down. "Bleh."

Tonpa's whole body twitched, and another tick mark made a home up on that big old forehead of his. It was a funny sight and she had to bite her lip to keep from giggling.

"Anyways," he continued through gritted teeth, patience evidently running thin. "How about we propose a toast to our new found friendship?" His eyes closed in a disgusting smile, and he reached into his bag to pull out an orange can with a fake label reading 'soda' in messy handwriting.