06

*Stephanie Marsh

"So, it turns out that Daniel wasn't actually an only child, we had to do some digging but we did come up with a name." Cory says, Niall and I are following behind him. He hasn't said a word to me since we got here, I'm not sure if it's because I asked about his past earlier or something else, but I feel like he could put his feelings aside for a little while. 

"Wait I thought Daniel didn't have siblings? We checked for any current brothers or sisters?" I question.

"Yes, but you forgot to check for step siblings." He turns his computer on to reveal the ID of a 32 year old woman. "Her name's Cindy Roberts, after her step dad, Daniels' dad, passed away two weeks ago from cancer, Daniel would be next in line to receive the inheritance money from his step dad, as well as all his possessions, but assuming Daniel wasn't around to collect his inheritance, it would go to Cindy instead." Cory explains. 

"Which is a perfect motive for murder, do we have an address?" 

"Yep, here I'll write it down." He hands it to me after, I stuff it in my pocket, make sure I have everything, and Niall and I hurry to the car. "Be safe!" Cory yells. "We will, no worries!" I assure him.

Pulling up to the address, I notice the place looks empty. No cars in the driveway, no lights on, curtains closed. 

"I don't think anyone's home" Niall chimes in. 

"Oh, so now you decide to talk again huh?" I say, walking to the front door knocking a few times.

He scoffs. "Give me a break, you barely talked to me when you were at my place."

The door opens to reveal a tall woman with dark brown hair. "Miss Roberts, London Police department, we'd like to ask you a couple of questions, may we come in?" I politely ask, flashing my badge. She nods and opens the door wider, allowing us to step in, she shuts it behind us as I'm taking in my surroundings. The second I turn back around, I'm met with a fist flying towards my face. I taste iron from my bottom lip, I try to grab my gun but she grabs me by my neck and puts my back to her chest, holding a knife to my throat. 

"Miss Roberts, I need you to put down the knife, nobody has to get hurt." Niall says calmly, pointing a gun at the woman behind me." 

"Shut up! Daniel took everything from me. That money was supposed to be mine! Before that bitch came into my dad's life and ruined everything. I was a much better child than Daniel could ever be. But my father was about to give it all up to him. And now..." I can feel her breath start to feel shaky, I try to get away, but the tip of the blade in her hand cuts a small line into the left of my neck.

"Miss Roberts' please, drop your weapon and no one else has to die." Niall says , cautiously taking a step forward to us. I had to admit, for a small woman, this bitch had a damn strong grip. 

"Now it's all going to be gone! But it's worth it, it's worth it because now that Daniel is dead and six feet under like he's supposed to be, he won't get anything from his precious step daddy." She snickers at the end of her sentence. 

"listen Cindy, I know what it's like to have a bad relationship with your father, trust me, my-" Niall try's to reason with her, before the woman cuts him off and screams, pulling her grip on me tighter. 

"No you don't! You have no idea what it's like." She snaps, pressing the blade so it begins to cut into my skin. "Now toss your gun over and I won't slit your little girlfriends' throat." She threatens. 

"Don't Niall, it's too much of a risk." I mutter out.

Niall starts to panic, his hands beginning to shake. He knows if he tries to shoot Cindy, he'll most likely end up shooting me too. "Niall, don't" I whisper. But knowing if he steps any closer to me, the knife cutting slightly into my throat will end up slicing my oesophagus, killing me. He bends down, placing his gun on the hard wood floor, slowly rising back up and kicking it to my feet. He puts his hands up beside his head.

"Alright there you go, just please, let her go now." He says calmly. As Cindy reaches down for the gun, looking at Niall, I quickly turn around kicking the knife out of her hand, watching it slide over to the other side of the room. I reach for my gun, pulling it out and aiming it at Cindy with Nialls' gun in her hands. 

"fuck." Niall whispers. All three of us turn our heads to the left at the sound of police sirens.

"shit" Cindy whispers. As soon as she's distracted, Niall runs towards the short woman, grabbing the gun in her hand. With no other choice, she raises her hands in the air surrendering. 

The police car with her in the backseat drives away. Liam gives Niall a pat on the back, sending him a proud nod. I sit in the ambulance as one of the paramedics takes a look at my throat, Niall standing in front of me.

"Hey, Niall, thanks for before, for not letting me... you know." I smile at him, talking in a calmer voice. 

"For not letting you die?" He smiles, raising a brow. 

I laugh under my breath."Yeah"

"Well of course I'd never let that happen, we're partners in crime, remember?"

"I'd never let you die either Horan." I look up at him towering over me. He touches my cheek with his thumb, the slightest touch giving me goosebumps.

"I know you wouldn't" He smirks.

"I'll see you on Monday Niall, thanks again for not letting my throat get slit open." I snicker, he leans over to my ear, feeling his hot breath fan over my neck. 

"I never forget to save the princess." He whispers.

With that, he walks away with his hands in his pockets, putting on his sunglasses and getting into his car. That was kind of attractive.

Okay, more than kind of attractive.

***

Updating late because I got tired, no worries I have something special planned for tomorrows ;)

thanks for reading, all the luv 

-day :)