Chapter 495 - A New Semester

“This time it’ll be different,” said Tang Wulin, smiling as he attempted to soothe Na’er’s worries. “We both have soul communicators now, so just give me a call whenever you miss me. You can come out and visit me too. I won’t be able to travel here to see you though. The only reason I was at Sea God’s Island to begin with was because of special circumstances.” He ruffled her hair. “I stay at the outer court’s working students dormitory. You can find me there.” 

“Okay.” Na’er threw herself into Tang Wulin’s arms, locking him in a tight embrace. “Big Brother, no matter what challenges you face, do your best for me. You have to become strong. I’ll be waiting for you here.” 

“Of course. I’ll step foot on Sea God’s Island with my own qualifications next time!” Tang Wulin declared, youthful passion flaring. 

With their goodbyes said, Tang Wulin wasted no more time and left. Minutes after his figure had disappeared, Na’er still stood there, glued to the floor, looking in the direction he had departed. Her eyes betrayed a deep sorrow. 

“How are you doing? Your brother left?” The voice, though gentle, snapped Na’er out of her daze. She responded with a nod. From the corner of her eye, she could make out a fair white hand landing on her shoulder. 

“You’re both still young.” A squeeze. “You have plenty of time in the future. You foolish girl, your teacher is going to get jealous if you show so much attachment to him.” 

Na’er looked up, pouting. “Mistress, I really like you and Teacher too!” 

Had Tang Wulin been present, he would have been shocked out of his wits. The woman beside Na’er was the Vice-Master of Sea God’s Pavilion, the kindest woman on the continent, Holy Douluo Yali! 

Yali responded by wrapping her arms around Na’er. “I like you too. Your teacher and I don’t have any children of our own, so we see you as our own daughter. Don’t worry. Your big brother is an excellent student. He’ll definitely enter the inner court one day.” 

“Alright. Thank you, Mistress. But can’t you just let him into the inner court right now? I think Big Brother is strong enough,” Na’er said, hope in her eyes. 

Yali sighed and shook her head. “Now isn’t the right moment. He’s still an unpolished gem. He needs more time to refine himself first. He won’t be able to do that here. For that same reason, your teacher and I have been preparing to send you out to gain experience. Spending all of your time cultivating here will stunt your future growth. Wait another year. Then we’ll send you out.” 

“No! I don’t want to leave you and Teacher!” Her cheeks puffed up as she returned Yali’s hug, squeezing tighter for good measure. 

☀ 

By the time Tang Wulin reached the working students dormitory, Xu Lizhi had already returned. 

“Lizhi!” Tang Wulin smiled as he approached his friend. “Where did you and Xinglan go? How come I didn’t see either of you the entire break?” 

Xu Lizhi chuckled. “Big Sis Xinglan was cultivating in a place well suited for her, and since I can cultivate my martial soul anywhere I want, I followed her. Both of us just got back actually. Now then, Captain, it looks like you broke through again!”

Xu Lizhi could tell that something about Tang Wulin was different. The changes were minute, and most people would have missed them, but Xu Lizhi possessed keen senses. Tang Wulin was a bit taller, sturdier too. And his aura seemed strangely subdued.