23. dance

DECEMBER TWENTY THIRD —
JOÃO'S POV
my eyes fluttered open, confused as to where i am. i turned my head to notice vera sleeping on my shoulder with her arms hugging mine.

i smiled to myself, the memories from last night quickly coming back.

it was almost like a nightmare undercover. this past month has been the best month of my entire life for one reason, vera.

but it quickly crumbled and fell apart.

i couldn't believe that i won't be able to wake up to her face ever again after tomorrow. she says we could be friends still but i don't think my heart will allow that, seeing her get married to someone else while i just stand there.

if it's rude for me to not attend the wedding then be it. i would rather have my last memory of vera being this than her in a wedding dress next to another guy.

i believed her when she said that it was nothing serious and i still do. vera is not the type of girl to mess around and do disgusting shit.

i know how badly she wants her father's approval and as much as it hurts the both of us, i won't get in the way of that.

as long as she lives the rest of her life happily, i will learn to live mine the same way.. without her if it's possible.

i slowly slipped my arm away as i got up, taking a pillow and setting it closer to her before helping her lean down to sleep better.

i wanted her to have a good sleep for once, every single morning she's the one to wake up first.

she says she doesn't think a lot about everything but she does and i know it. i dislike the fact she doesn't show off her emotions as much, even to me but i can't really blame her.

i walked all the way upstairs to my bathroom, brushing my teeth and .. other things before leaving and going back downstairs.

i made my way back to the couch vera is sleeping on to take empty plate with cookie crumbs on it.

just then, the door unlocked revealing joana and daniel. i swiftly walked over to them, shushing them up to not disturb vera's sleep.

realizing it's no help, i picked up vera off the couch and walked her back to her bedroom.

i don't know how but she stayed asleep through it all. it was almost impressive.

i lied her down on her bed, admiring her sleep and leaning in to kiss her cheek before finally leaving the room to give her rest.

daniel was downstairs but i could hear joana upstairs in her room so i decided to knock on her door even though it was open.

she turned around, a smile growing on her face.

"thank you." i thanked, wrapping my arms around her. "huh, you already look so much happier. what happened!?"

she paused herself, shaking her head. "no never mind don't tell me, please don't."

i chuckled at her stupidity, "i'm sorry i didn't text you guys to come back home, i completely forgot and we ended up falling asleep."

she shrugged her shoulders carelessly, "no it's fine. i just spent the night at a friend's house and daniel tagged along."

i nodded before smiling again, "well change out of your clothes and come downstairs. i'm gonna make breakfast."

she gave me a thumbs up as she looked through her clothes.

VERA'S POV
i sat down, quietly eating my food. i was always like this whenever i had my good sleeps, way quieter and less energetic.