Chapter Five

I looked at the white walls with some paint specks falling off, a calendar hung up thanks to a silver nail, the page is on the month March with the picture featuring baby ducks with its brown mother, I frown once I remembered that ducks no longer exist.

"Hey Ella!" Bethany shouted with a playful expression, her white, fuzzy polar bear hat she typically wore laid on the vibrant carpet, making her light strawberry locks of hair visible. "Do you want to make some bracelets with me?" Bethany asked, in her hands were a small, glittery box, inside were a variety of beads for the bracelet including strings and shaped objects. "I'm good" I replied to the cheery girl, I didn't feel like making bracelets mainly because there's more things to worry about, such as aliens taking over the world. It was a nice gesture though. 

Luckily, Santiago volunteered to help make bracelets with Bethany, her mouth turned upwards in a smile once she saw that someone wanted to help her. Santiago sat comfortably on the carpet with his legs crossed, as he tried to reach for the plastic box it slipped from his grasp, making all the small beads fall on the ground. "well that's wonderful." I commented on the situation with a sigh.

"Aw man! See that shit? Nearly fell on my ass!" Leo yelled angrily. He had been running with a cup in his hands and didn't see the beads on the ground, nearly making him fall down. "Maybe you should check where you're going" Leo slammed the red cup down while he glared at me from my bitter comment, he opened his mouth to say something but quickly closed it, not knowing what he should say.

I walked away from the three clumsy teens and made my way to the door by itself, the one Cleo is usually in. My hand grasped the cold, silver, door knob, turning it quietly so no one's attention would be on me. The door opened with ease with no loud squeaky noise. 

As I entered the room, I noticed a black chair with four wheels underneath, positioned next to a large desk. A yellow folder neatly laid on the desk, it caught my eye. I approached the desk, as I did so I realized a lamp near it. I carried the lamp off of the yellow file, finally able to get my hands on it as I got more curious. 

I opened the yellow folder, my eyes landed on the label 'Bethany' with a picture of a younger version of her. Underneath the picture was highly detailed information of the girl, such as her birth year, her parents name and the year she entered foster care. My confusion grew while I read the white paper, Bethany joined the group in less than 24 hours, so who knew all of this information about her? I felt confused, shocked and angry about it.

I carefully put Bethany's file down on the smooth wooden desk and reached for the light green folder that was underneath it. The name 'Leo' written on it with blood letters, inside had a picture of a young Leo, he smiled in the camera, showing his blue braces and his black hair slick back in a formal style. My heart sank once I read what was inside, like Bethany's, there was information of private stuff that he should only know.

I read the tragic story of Leos, when he was only four years old both of his parents died horribly in a car accident, causing his grandmother to take him in with his older brother. His life soon turned worst once his family got abducted by the green creatures. I felt something odd, the feeling of sadness washed over me. When I lost my family, I didn't know what to do, I felt like I was trapped in a never ending nightmare, maybe he did too... maybe because of his trauma he can't trust people, or better yet he's afraid to lose someone he's close to.

Cleo's eyes widened once she saw me with the folders in my hands, she shut the door from behind, making me flinch. "What are you doing here?!" Cleo angrily asked, her face started to turn red from anger once I've been caught. "Is this why you're always in here? Documenting our lives?" I held Leo's file up close to her face, making sure she saw the folder "what are you talking about?" Her whole mood changed from anger to confusion. "These folders!" I grabbed the other two that had Santiago and Shawn's name labeled on the front, then I realized, I didn't see a folder with my name. 

I threw the files on the floor, all the papers inside flew out onto the carpet "Where's mine?" I asked her while I clenched my jaw "mine what?" Cleo's eyes scanned the room, looking at all floor that was now covered with papers "My file" Cleo's eyes trailed up to my face "I don't know what you're talking about." I balled up my fist, my nails dug into my palms, leaving a small trail of blood coming out "oh don't play dumb" 

"it's in the drawer" Cleo confessed, she finally admitted she knew about the folders. I stopped digging my nails into my palm and rushed over to the desk, I quickly opened the drawer that she pointed to, inside were arranged with items such as knives and flashlights. I moved all the items away, underneath it all was a pink folder with my name written on it, it looked like fresh marker ink. 

I opened the folder up, I felt my heart rate speed up as I read though. Inside the pages had everything detailed about me, such as childhood memories to my present ones, my personality, my outfits and secrets about my life. I've never told anything to her or anyone else about my life, I kept it a secret for a reason.

My nose flared from anger, I finally looked up at Cleo who stared at the ground after being confronted "What the hell? Are you stalking me and the others?" I took my knife out from my pockets and held it up high while my left hand held the pink file "Answer me." I looked deadly in her eyes with my bloodshot blue ones. I felt betrayed and violated, I trust Cleo, I felt like me and her could've been friends after we defeat the aliens but not anymore.

The tension in the small room thickened as I waited for her to answer my question "I'm not a stalker." Cleo denied my assumption "It's just- I needed to know things before I let you into my group" I knew she lied, I could feel it. The grip on my knife tightened "I don't believe you, Cleo. How do you know all this information about me?" I repeated my question in a slower tone, making sure she heard my loud and clearly. "You have to trust me" She pleaded, I took a step forward "Trust you?" I chuckled "You expect me to trust you when you have all this information about me?" I waved the pink folder in the air "You know what? I'm telling the others about your dirty secret"

"You better not!" Cleo spat back at me "or what?" I hummed, waiting for her response "I will kick you out of this group!"Cleo threatened me, I shrugged my shoulders at her threat "Unlike you I don't need other people to help me live in this world." I lowered my knife down to my waist "I don't think you can."  The sound of breaking glass caught both of our attention, Cleo quickly opened the door and ran out to see what the problem was. 

I followed Cleo, on the floor laid a gray alien that was around 3 feet tall with big black eyes and a big shiny head. I raised my silver knife in the air and stabbed the baby alien with my knife, the yellow blood gushed out from the head to the sharp impact. I took my knife out soon after I saw the baby alien laying on the ground motionless "We need to board up the windows" Cleo suggested after she watched me kill the alien "how are we going to do that?" Leo ran into the room and joined in the conversation, Leo's correct. If we would go outside of this arcade we would get attacked by plenty of aliens, not only that but all the stores are covered with grass and most likely had nothing inside.

"I know a store nearby, maybe we can grab some tools" Shawn's voice spoke up, behind him stood Bethany and Santiago "But... that would be dangerous, right?" Bethany looked up a the taller boy, concern written on her face "We need tools, we don't have any other choice." Shawn eyed everyone, waiting for approval "Cleo?" Shawn asked her since she led the group "let's get going before it's too dark."