Chapter 23

(Sorry for the long wait, since I am really sick these days I cannot work as much as I would like on my stories here, but I will do my best. I wish you a good reading! Do not hesitate to tell me what you think of this chapter, it will help me a lot!)

"You've already met Chuuya Nakahara here, sitting right in front of you," continued the voice she guessed to be Mori's, a voice that still disturbed her. "And next to him, Ozaki Kôyô, also an executive."

Around the table, therefore, were four people, including her, and four guards a little further away, who remained at a safe distance from the little gathering.

As expected, the owner of the disturbing voice introduced himself as Mori Ougai, sitting on her right, presiding over the room with all his natural splendor and authority.

"Indeed, I have already had the good fortune to cross paths with Mr. Nakahara," replied Yui in a soft voice, a smile on her lips, confident. "I hope we will do an excellent job together, but I do not doubt it for a second."

She heard a voice across from the table, one she knew well, replying with a slight stammer that the pleasure was shared, which she quickly recognized as Chuuya's. The same voice that had forced her to use this.

Did she resent him for this? A little, even if it was not really the young man's fault. She had played with fire a little too much, and instead of going back to the hotel immediately, she had preferred to hang around a bit, to enjoy this moment of freedom she had been granted.

This Chuuya seemed like a good person, despite his... peculiar job. Just like Higuchi, who had escorted her to the Port Mafia headquarters.

What were these individuals, endowed with benevolence, doing in such an organization? Had they been coerced at any point?

Just like her, who had not had the chance to choose which life to lead until now? Was she living something similar to these people, who could not have been more than a few years older than her?

Chuuya's slightly uncertain voice, as imperceptible as ever, soon gave way to a much calmer, more assertive voice, that of a woman.

"So, what exactly did your father have in mind when you came to us? Why did you choose the Port Mafia, of all places?"

A voice that most certainly belonged to the one introduced as Ozaki Kôyô, next to Chuuya Nakahara.

Yui, still smiling brightly, replied.

"To tell the truth, it was I who wanted to meet you to discuss a possible partnership. My father had tried to establish a relationship with your former leader, but unfortunately he was not as interested as you..."

It was an understatement to say so, given that the former Mafia boss had simply declined any kind of dialogue and, of course, any kind of contract.

"As the idea came from me, my father agreed to entrust the business to me. As for your second question, I will just say this: why not you, and why someone else? To be frank, all I could think of was the ultimate mutual benefit to you and me, and by extension to the Uemura company I represent."

There was no need to get bogged down in meaningless justifications, knowing that, on top of that, frankness was always an especially useful weapon in this kind of situation, albeit to a lesser extent. The main reason for this desire for partnership was none other than pecuniary and material. Why hide it? Because the Mafia was also in the same situation.

Buying good-quality weapons, but at a reduced price thanks to the many adjacent advantages, was an offer that could not be refused. The Mafia had agreed to meet her that evening, and their leader in person in addition; that was telling something.