Chapter 4: The new begining

As Callum emerged from the hold, a slight flush still lingering on his cheeks from his interaction with Rayla, he found Ezran perched on one of the nearby barrels, his young face alight with curiosity.

"Hey, Callum!" Ezran greeted, his voice filled with excitement. "How did it go with Rayla?"

Callum's cheeks flushed even deeper at the question, his mind racing as he tried to gather his thoughts. "Uh, it went fine, Ezran," he replied evasively, hoping to steer the conversation away from his encounter with Rayla.

But Ezran wasn't so easily deterred, his eyes narrowing with playful mischief as he pressed for more information. "Did you like her, Callum?" he asked innocently, a mischievous grin tugging at the corners of his lips.

Callum's heart skipped a beat at the unexpected question, his mind spinning with uncertainty. "I... um..." he stammered, at a loss for words as he struggled to articulate his feelings.

Before he could gather his thoughts, Ezran quickly clarified his question, his expression earnest and sincere. "I mean, did you like her as a riend?" he clarified, his voice filled with genuine curiosity.

Relieved by the clarification, Callum let out a nervous laugh, his tension easing slightly at Ezran's innocent inquiry. "Oh, uh, yeah! Yeah, I did," he admitted with a sheepish smile. "She seems nice."

Ezran beamed at Callum's response, his eyes shining with approval. "That's great!" he exclaimed happily. "I knew you two would get along."

As the conversation continued, Callum's mind wandered back to his encounter with Rayla in the hold. He couldn't shake the memory of her guarded expression and the way she had bristled at his attempts to help. And yet, despite her initial hostility, he couldn't deny the spark of connection he had felt in her presence.

Lost in thought, Callum was jolted back to reality when Ezran mentioned Rayla's name, his curiosity piqued by the sudden revelation.

"How do you know her name, Ezran?" Callum asked, his brow furrowing in confusion.

Ezran's eyes widened in realization, a guilty expression crossing his features. "Oh, uh, well..." he trailed off, fumbling for an explanation.

But before he could respond, Ezran's hesitation was cut short by the sound of footsteps approaching from the deck above. With a quick glance at Callum, Ezran scrambled to his feet, a mischievous twinkle in his eye.

"I'll tell you later, Callum!" Ezran promised with a playful grin before darting off to attend to his duties, leaving Callum to ponder the mystery of Rayla's identity on his own.

As Callum returned to his duties on deck, his mind lingered on his encounter with Rayla in the hold. Despite Ezran's reassurances about her being a friend, Callum couldn't shake the feeling of unease that had settled in the pit of his stomach.

As he went about his tasks, his thoughts kept drifting back to Rayla's situation. Why was she being held in the hold, chained up like a prisoner, when she could be on the deck helping out? It didn't make sense to him. If she was allowed to move freely, perhaps she wouldn't have gotten injured in the first place.

With a furrowed brow, Callum made his way back towards the hold, his determination mounting with each step. He needed to speak with Captain Amaya and find out the truth about why Rayla was being kept below deck.

As he approached the hold, Callum's resolve hardened. He couldn't stand by and watch as Rayla was unfairly treated, especially if there was a chance he could help her. With a deep breath, he steeled himself for the confrontation ahead.

Entering the dimly lit hold, Callum found Rayla sitting quietly in her makeshift prison, her eyes flickering with a mixture of defiance and resignation. His heart went out to her, and he made a silent vow to do whatever he could to assist her.