Chapter 5 - Oopsie Daisies

Albert starts his car to go to the local grocery store after feeding socks, Willow, and the new dog, which he still hasn't named yet. He begins to drive his way to the grocery store, riding down the way-too-familiar roads of town. It's a beautiful, breezy morning with clear skies and crisp dew on the grass. Albert drives with a feeling of peace that tells him today will be a good day.

Albert has off again today because a few other people work at the arcade as well. It's a one person job since the arcade is small and dead, and to be honest, there's not much to do there.

He makes it to the grocery store and begins his shopping, picking up dog food, snacks, and other various groceries. Albert finds the candle isle, filled with several different scents from several different brands. He finds one he likes, and to him it smells like a cool tropical breeze. Holding the candle, he checks his list...

When all of the sudden, someone runs into his shopping cart with a loud CRASH, startling Albert, which makes him drop the candle that shatters on impact with the hard tile floor.

"ALBERT! I am SO sorry!" Denis apologizes with a mortified look on his face. "I was just talking to someone else andIreallyshouldveseenwhereIwasgoing-" He bends down and frantically picks up the larger glass shards of Albert's candle, putting them in a bowl that's conveniently sitting in his shopping cart.

"Oh, hey Denis! It's okay man, mistakes happen-"

Denis cuts him off. "No it was really MY fault and I-"

This time, Albert cuts him off with a shush, leaving Denis quietly trailing off with "....'m really sorry...."

"Dude, you're gonna cut yourself!" Albert scolds as Denis places more glass into the bowl. Denis' eyes are still wide from the encounter.

"Yeah, you're right." Denis realizes, staring at the glass on the floor, a reminder of his stupid mistake.

Denis and Albert stare at the glass in silence.

"Now what's all this fuss about?" A lady with dark skin asks as she approaches the scene. "Oh, you dropped somethin? No worries, we'll get it cleaned up in no time!" She says with a smile on her face.

"Oh, thanks Cassidy." Denis says to her with a small smile.

"No problem sugar cube! I'll go get somethin to clean all this up, don't you worry 'bout it."

Cassidy is an employee that loves to talk to EVERYONE, and gets quite comfortable with regular customers, like Denis and Albert.

"Seriously, it's okay." Albert reassures Denis as he grabs a replacement candle from the shelf.

"I still feel bad about it. I can pay for it, I promise!" Denis offers.

"Dude, it's just a candle." Albert says with a chuckle.

Denis' apologetic attitude deflates. "I guess it's kind of stupid to get so worried about... a candle."

"It's alright, I'm not judging you. Come here.."

Denis and Albert hug it out, complete with Albert patting Denis on the back. When they leave their embrace, Cassidy comes back.

"Hey, I thought you boys woulda moved on by now!" She says in a playful tone. "Oh, you don't got to worry about payin' for that silly little candle, I know it was an accident. Now go carry on with your lives, you got better things to do then to mourn a dang candle."

Denis chuckles, realizing that the situation isn't as serious as it seemed.

"Yeah, you're right." Albert says as him and Denis walk away from the candle crime scene.