Chapter 7 - Distance

It's been about a week since Denis and Albert have seen each other.

Albert thinks of this fact as he sits behind the front counter at the arcade, gathering some supplies to clean the machines. He had just closed for the day, and there had actually been some pretty decent business during the earlier hours.

He grabs the bucket filled with a box of gloves, different sanitary sprays, and old rags as he heads to the arcade floor. After he puts on the blue latex gloves, he wipes down a game of pac-man and thinks of Denis again. It's strange how much he misses him, and at this point it's almost an obsession that's eating him alive. He can't help that they've been apart, they've both been working. Whenever Denis has off, Albert is working and vice versa.

Albert has also been dealing with the dogs at home. He hasn't gotten a new one, but he's been helping his friends with their other dogs. Moses is healing up well since the cut in his leg wasn't very deep. He's the one reminder of Denis that Albert gets to see every day, and It's probably a little creepy how much he loves seeing this dog because of the fact that Denis named him.

Albert moves onto cleaning the infamous "space invaders" game, probably the most notable sound of the arcade machines shouting at you to play. He begins to wipe it off as he zones out again.

That time they went to the park made Albert feel things. It was the last time they've really hung out, and Denis' actions are messing with his mind quite a bit. Why was he so... flirtatious? The whole fruit bowl thing, saying the butterfly "Really suited him.." It just doesn't make sense!

Albert moves to another arcade machine, wiping it down in deep thought. Albert can't just ASSUME that Denis likes him. There's a big chance that he was just messing with him, and an even bigger chance that Denis is straight. Albert's gaydar has always been a bit off, so he doesn't really rely on it anymore. Denis DOES give off huge bi vibes to him, but he can't know for sure.

Unbeknownst to Albert, his scrubbing gets more aggressive.

Albert thinks that it's weird to assume that Denis has a crush on him anyways. So given all the different factors that have to play into it, the chances are near impossible.

So maybe Albert really wants Denis to like him.

He keeps getting dreams about him, too. This obsession is definitely a crush.. As much as Albert hates to admit that. He found out he liked Denis after getting these dreams about him. His favorite one so far was seeing Denis as his guardian angel.

Cheesy, but oddly comforting.

Albert realizes he's been wiping down this DDR machine for FAR too long now. Oops. He casually starts wiping down the next machine.

Despite how bad he wants Denis to like him, Albert knows it's probably all just a far away dream.

But the thing is, the chance still DOES exist, and Denis is a nice guy, so he probably wouldn't reject him too harshly. Albert knows that the sooner he tells him about his feelings, the sooner he'll get over them. But he shouldn't rush it, he only found out he liked Denis this way like, yesterday.

Just then, he feels his phone vibrate in his pocket. He removes a glove to reach for it, and when he looks at the screen.. It's Denis calling! Albert immediately takes the call.

"Hey Albert! What are you up to?" Denis asks with a warm tone.

"Oh, well I just closed the arcade and I'm cleaning the machines now." Albert says, trying to hide the excitement to talk to Denis and hear his voice.

"Well that's boring. Anyways, I found this place that's doing karaoke tomorrow night. Do you wanna go?" Denis offers.

And without second thought, "Yes, I'd love to!" Albert blurts out.

"Great! It's at 8 PM tomorrow night, and I'll..." Denis trails off.

"You'll what?" Albert asks.

"Well I was going to say that I'll give you the address, but why don't I just drive you there?" Denis offers.

"Sure, that works!" Albert says, smiling on his end of the phone.

"Great, I'll pick you up at 7:30 then. See you there!" Denis says before hanging up the call.

Albert wishes he didn't just end the call like that, but that's just how Denis is sometimes. He sighs with a spray bottle in his hand, seeing he still has many more arcade machines to clean tonight. Oh well, at least he can be happy doing it knowing that he'll actually get to spend time with Denis tomorrow.

Despite the fact that he's happy to see Denis... His crush is both a blessing and a curse.

Denis is so wonderful to him, he's funny, charming, and drop dead GORGEOUS through Albert's eyes. Although obsessing over Denis is fun, it's also mentally exhausting.

Liking Denis like this comes with a weight on his shoulders like he's carrying a backpack full of bricks. Albert wakes up anxious thinking about if Denis even sees him in the same light whatsoever.

Albert sighs and begins cleaning another machine, moving his arm in that same circular motion, his hand beginning to sweat beneath the latex glove.

It's like an endless cycle of overthinking.

But at the same time, tomorrow is REALLY exciting. Maybe Albert can cast away his negative thoughts and just enjoy the air Denis is breathing, it'll be almost like a date without really being a date, so if you think about it, it's pretty much like they're dating already!

...right?