☄️Comet☄️

TW: description of self-harm, reference to addiction

I broke the shower glass and rolled through it. I was covered in cuts and had glass stuck all over me. I saw the blonde get out of his bed and walk over to the emo kid in the corner who was tied down. I wonder what he did. I was dragged in by a medic who couldn't be older than me with a steel-like grip and pushed down into a bed, a harness pulled over me. I just rolled my eyes and sighed. I still had the pills in my pocket, and I could reach them if I needed to. When no one was looking I grabbed all of them and dry swallowed them. It hurt my throat and I almost choked but I needed them. I watched the emo kid and the blonde kid hug for about fifteen minutes until I fell asleep. The pills worked their magic, I slept for days. 

When I finally awoke, Kayla was standing over my bed, talking with someone frantically. "How could they have gotten sleeping pills? Did you not watch them?" The other person just shook their head and walked off. Leaving me alone with Kayla. I closed my eyes again and heard Kayla start to cry. Gods damn. I slipped back into sleep, but this time it wasn't the usual drug-induced dreamless blur, it was a flashback to me at eight. 

I joined the circus at a young age, about six or seven. I was a close-up magician. Being a child of Hecate helped with that. I saw myself doing slight-of-hand to a young couple, while my friends pick pocketed them. They didn't notice, to distracted with me moving balls around under cups and shuffling cards. Their friends noticed though, pushing us into the dirt, kicking us, stealing all our money and running. Not the first time it has happened and definitely not the last time. We walked defeated, back to the circus grounds. "You're back!" Called the ringmaster. "How much did you make?" We knew he wouldn't be happy with us showing up empty handed. He locked us in a dark stable for the night, not letting us out until midday. Next time we knew not to come back without money. I woke, shaking from the memory. 

Kayla was standing over my bed, staring intently at me. "Creepy, much?" I got a sad little laugh out of her. "How the hades did you sleep so long? You've been out for about two days." I didn't want to tell her about the pills, I might never leave the infirmary ever again. I just shrugged and looked at her, dead in the eyes. "I don't know. It's weird, isn't it? Probably exhaustion or something like that."

"Sure, it was. By the way, you have to get tested for substance abuse and stuff like that, but you've been clean for the last two months, so you should be fine." I must have looked uncertain, because she said. "Right? You have been two months clean?" I nodded, but clearly, I was lying. "Comet, what have you done?"