Chapter 47: Rose Without Thorns

Warning: This chapter contains violence and wording that may not be suitable for some readers. You have been warned, happy reading. :)
__________________________________

Amy's POV:

Sprinting through the trees, the blood pounds in my ears as my instincts take over. Pulling ahead of the team that's following closely behind me, Shadow's charming smile flashes through my mind. The way his gaze softens at my touch, his impenetrable exterior melting away when the two of us are alone.

The way he puts himself between me and any threat without giving it a second thought. The silent rage behind his gaze when I'm in danger... And the disapproving look I always receive when I put myself in the way of it.

I have to find him. Find him before... No. Don't even let your mind go there. Focus.

Turning my attention to the surroundings, my ears twitch at the birds chirping. The sound of the wind blowing through the trees, and of stray leaves that have begun to fall crunching under my careful steps. The voice of reason in my head keeps trying to drown out all of the other thoughts. They keep telling me I would be able to hear him if he were near.

Focusing, I prepare for the feeling of being teleported through existence. Opening my eyes to the new surroundings, I hear nothing.

Teleporting again, the unfamiliar terrain is silent.

Beginning to grow frustrated as I blip in and out of Mobius, I'm moving too quickly. Without enough time to slowly draw out the energy, I'm using too much at one time.

Heaving as I prepare to teleport again, I stop dead in my tracks as my ears twitch. And the sound of an explosion in the distance lets me know that I've finally found them.

.
.
.

Rouge's POV:

Jumping as the small pink hedgehog appears into thin air, she breathily says, "I found them".

Staticky pink energy is crackling all around her, and as she reaches to grab ahold of me my fur stands on end.

Holding her hand out to Sally, the chipmunks face is knitted with worry. With only so many of us to spare, we decided to split our numbers in half. One team to deal with the remaining robots and any potential others, and the other team to help Sonic and Shadow.

Looking to Knuckles, he tightly grabs my hand as the four of us complete the link that Amy's created.

Stabilizing myself as Amy begins to teleport us, I can hardly remember what the sensation feels like.

It's different in the sense that Shadow uses chaos magic, and in the sense where... I can feel all of Amy's emotions through the link.

The fear, the uncertainty. And the absolute rage.

Flinching back to reality at the feeling of the ground rattling beneath my feet, I open my eyes before looking at Amy.

Even though I felt every single one of her emotions... The anger simmering beneath the surface is radiating in waves. Yanking my hand away as the energy radiating off of her shocks me, she's staring straight at Callix.

Her face appears calm on the surface, but her eyes... The look in her eyes is utterly terrifying.

.
.
.

Amy's POV

rounding the top of the hill, my chest tightens as I see Shadow's crimson stripes... Standing there motionless.

Running to him, I quickly reach up to grab his face. Looking into his eyes, my heart twists with pain as I see tears leaking from his emotionless eyes.

I was right... Callix has the phantom ruby, and he's used it on Shadow.