8. Hangover

(Vanessa)

This morning, I woke up with the worst hangover ever. I felt nauseous and had a splitting headache. I drank water from the tap at my sink and crawled into the shower. When I stepped out, I heard someone in the house. I quickly wrapped myself in my large beach towel and headed to the kitchen.

"Would you mind leaving my house?" I called out to Dave, who was eyeing me up and down in my towel.

"You forgot the sugar cubes, and they're not in their usual spot like Linda's. Otherwise, I would've left before you finished your shower," he replied.

I glared at my boss and opened the cupboard where I kept the unopened sugar cubes. Struggling on my tiptoes, I heard a chuckle behind me. I gave Dave a stern look.

"You could help, you know. You're taller," I said, annoyed.

"I enjoy watching you struggle," he laughed.

"Just take the pack and leave, idiot," I muttered through clenched teeth.

"I heard that nickname yesterday after you kissed me," he teased, standing next to me and smirking as he reached for the sugar.

I stared at him, speechless. "I don't have any thoughts about that!," I finally managed.

Dave shrugged with a wide grin, "Alright, then. It's a pity; that was a good kiss. See you tonight, Vanessa." He walked away, leaving me stunned.

The first thing I did was grab my phone to call my best friend.

"Hey, Vanessa. What's the rush? You're an after-lunch caller, not a crack-of-dawn one."

"Had a bit too much to drink, Stephanie."

"And that's not a rare occurrence, is it?"

"Well, yes, but this time I goofed up."

"What did you do?"

"I ended up kissing my boss."

"Uh... What the fuck, Vanessa. How did you do that?"

"You usually do that with your lips, Stephanie."

"That's a known fact! Now, give me a real answer."

"The dinner I ended up preparing was actually for myself. I found that quite charming."

"I would've appreciated that gesture too. But why?"

"I finalized my permanent contract and over-celebrated with a bit too much champagne and wine."

"Oh my goodness. You don't recall any of it?"

"The strange part is, I believe I do. I assumed it was a dream, but..."

"And the kiss?"

"It left me wanting more. However, I've decided not to start a relationship with my boss."

"Vanessa, would it really be so terrible to have a relationship with your boss? He's single, you're single, and you've already kissed."

I touch my lips with my fingers and smile. "Stephanie, can we meet this afternoon?"

"Sure. I suspect there's an entire story behind your little escapade yesterday."

"Can we meet here?"

"Absolutely, I'd love to. How about 3 o'clock?"

"Okay."

(Dave)

I hasten past the office once more, clutching a folder brimming with documents. I'm aware it's the weekend and my presence here might seem improper. Yet, occasionally, I find myself spending more time in my office than at home during these days off. With no commitments, no spouse or children expecting my return, guilt shouldn't find its way to me, should it?