Chapter 1: Calling His Name

Sonic and Shadow found a empty cave in one of the shatterspaces. They found a sixth shatterspace after having an argument with Nine in the Grim.

Sonic really didn't want to fight another robot that looked like him again.

They were tired after fighting robots that were almost impossible to stop.
Shadow found wood from the large forest that was down below.

It was night time in this shatterspace, Sonic was falling asleep. He was trying to stay awake in case Shadow needed help but, the black hedgehog told him that he should rest first.

When Shadow came back... Sonic was gone! He was running around, trying to find his friend but, he couldn't find him.
______________________________________

"Amy?!" Sonic asked excitedly.

"No, I am Ruby." The illusion of Amy said calmly.

"Ruby?" Sonic said confused.

"I hold the power that can give you anything you want." Ruby told him.

"Anything?" Sonic asked.

"Anything...." Ruby responded.

"Just hold out your hand and I'll give you what you wish for." Ruby said.

Sonic held out his hand, then Ruby revealed herself as a real ruby. But, Sonic didn't see what she really was, he only saw Amy.

Ruby placed herself on Sonic, blending in with his shoes so no one would notice her.
______________________________________

"Sonic? Sonic!" Shadow called out from the trees and the cave. Nothing. Then, he looked up from the ground and saw Sonic, asleep.

He was shivering from the cold but, it wasn't cold in the cave. If it was cold, Shadow would feel it too. He knew Sonic didn't have a fever, he didn't really get sick, ever.

Shadow walked closer to Sonic, touching his glove covered hands. They were shaking, but they weren't cold. Strange... very strange.

Something happened to him when Shadow couldn't find him. Shadow knew something was going on, he had to figure it out.

Sonic started mumbling in fear, Shadow sat down next to him. He wasn't going to move away from his friend, not when his friend is having trouble sleeping peacefully.

"I'm here, don't worry. I'll keep you safe." Shadow said gently.

Shadow starts singing to calm Sonic.

"I wanna... promise as one does. I.. I will protect you, at all costs. Keep you safe here, in my arms. I.. I will protect you, at all costs. At all costs."

[Lyrics at the end of the chapter Title: At All Costs
From: Disney's "Wish"]

[Sonic Prime: Business Of Danger Song As The Intro & Outro theme for this story]