Chapter 3: Your My Friend

Shadow woke up to the sound of unfamiliar screaming. What happened? Did someone have a nightmare?

Is someone being captured?  Shadow was really worried about what caused the screaming.

None of that was true, it was Sonic he was screaming because of his quills being pulled out.

"Shadow, I'm glad you're awake. He's not-" Nine said before being interrupted.

"-holding still? Yeah, he gets like that when his quills are pulled out when he's sleeping. Here, let me hold him still for you." Shadow said as he walked toward the table Nine was working at, trying to pull out some of Sonic's quills.

Shadow was standing and holding Sonic in place for Nine. "Thanks." Nine said as he put Sonic's quills in a little glass bottle.

"No problem. So, did you find anything?" Shadow said as he gently put Sonic back down in his sleeping position on the table.

"His quills have a red glow to them, it's almost hard to see. He has a Ruby inside of him." Nine said.

Shadow's face expressed confusion. Nine explained in less scientific detail so that Shadow could understand.

"Ruby is a disease, she can speak to you like anyone else can. She uses your emotions and makes them more powerful than you normally would allow." Nine explained, now Shadow understood what the fox was talking about.