Chapter Three

Dedicated to my best friend on this site.

{Edited}

-

An hour later, Cole managed to persuade Drake to go.

It wasn't an easy feat. Getting Drake to drive screamed impossible these days. A definite no at night. It was mostly towards us. Cole and I. After all, we were in his car on that fateful night. If it wasn't that, Drake was against any idea that wasn't rational.

However, as I found myself in a neighbourhood I can't imagine Cole ever going to, I was convinced Drake has lost his mind. It was dirty, the people looked dodgy, there was hardly anyone around except for a man who looked like he hadn't eaten in days. I stopped by giving him some money to get a meal. He thanked me and then Drake came back from parking the car. It started to drizzle.

Cole on the other hand. He stood looking at the Nightshade. The board isn't anything worth looking at, but it looked better than the surrounding shops. "It feels familiar," Cole said mesmerised. Rain falling into bis shirt. He ran a hand through his long blonde hair, "Let's go in," He said looking at Drake then me.

"Are you sure?" Drake asked.

"I'm not crazy," He whispered.

Then without warning, he moved towards the door entering it without a fuss, never mind the fact we were all seventeen. I didn't have high hopes for the inside to look any better. I wasn't disappointed. Inside, it smelt of beer. There was a few odd souls inside but hardly anyone. There was a small bar, three stools with it, a bartender. There were three other tall tables and several chairs. Mostly chairs. A wooden stage with a microphone at the far end. It didn't look like a place Cole would go to.

Much less any of us.

Cole doesn't drink, do drugs or smoke. Cole is the epitome of a perfect guy. Then, was that all an illusion, a well-built wall that was torn down and lost with his memories?

"Julian isn't here." Cole frowned, He walked towards the bar, two other guys sitting on stools. He leaned on the counter, I followed him, uncertainly behind. I knew Drake was uncertain as I am. The bartender turned around walking towards Cole. Cole's eyes brightened, "Joe?"

The bartender's bushy eyebrows soared up. He was older than us and had a moustache, he looked rather comical, but the thing that made me afraid and confused was how Cole knew him. "Have we met?"

"I'm a friend of Julian's," Cole said giving him a dazzling smile, "He told me he was playing today." It felt wrong. No one forgets Cole.

The bartender doesn't relax. "He hardly plays here anymore, he may play on a Thursday night if you're lucky."

Drake and I glanced at each other, we both seemed to have the same question in our eyes, did you know this?

"Why doesn't he play?" Cole looked at ease, like he's been here a dozen times. But he hasn't. The bartender would recognise him if he did. You don't forget Cole.

"Shouldn't you know?" The bartender responded stiffly.

"That isn't a way to treat a friend, Joe."

"Not much of a friend if I hardly recognise you, is it?" Shaking his head he glances at Cole, "Aren't you a little too young to be here?" He asked. He glanced at all of us, suspicious. "You look like you'd be clubbing in some posh place."

"Always wary Joe, try and open up someday." He turned around, bumping into me, I slipped. Instinctively Cole's arm stretches to catch my arm, his other arm goes to my waist. A second after I'm steadied, he released me. "Let's go," He said softly. We exitted the bar, a trio, in my opinion looking for trouble.

"Are you free on Thursday?" He asked Drake and I. There was a grim determination in his features. I didn't like the way he looked. He didn't look like Cole. More angry. Confused. It felt like a default these past few months for him to either look aggravated, frustrated or perplexed which rarely soothed me but made me in a state of eternal worry.

He was Cole though, maybe amnesia changes people. If the people that made you who you were, were erased from your life. You wouldn't feel the same would you?

He did get angry before, but that was to be expected wasn't it? He was after all, upset. I would be to if I couldn't recall a head or tail of anything.

"You can't be thinking of coming here again are you?" Drake asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I recognise this place Drake. Haven't we gone here before?"

"I've never heard of this Julian guy till today, Cole." I knew Drake felt as worried as I was.

"Okay but I need answers, Drake, please?"

Drake looked uncomfortable. I knew why. It wasn't just Drake's running portfolio that made him reluctant. It would be at night, the three of us in a car. The last time that happened, there were disastrous results. I could recall it crystal clear. I didn't doubt Drake could as well. He was behind the wheel after all. "I don't think it's a good idea Cole."

"It's better than me driving, I can't recall much after all. Maybe I'd just die, a perfect end to my misery isn't it?"

My heart skipped a beat, "Cole..."

"I've finally got answers and you can't even help me. Or maybe you don't want me to remember? Were the people I was friends with someone you hated? So you both teamed up against me after all, I saw the way you looked at Joe, you looked at the whole place like it was dirt, Why would you want to come back here?" Cole kicked the ground, face twisting in anger.

"Cole, Shut the hell up," Drake said angrily.

"Maybe the reason I don't remember is because we weren't friends-"

I felt hurt. I felt tears falling down on my cheeks. Did he really think that.

People have different responses to hurt. To accusations, Drake wasn't the kind to stand there in shock anyway.

Drake grabbed Cole's collar effectively cutting him off, "You shut-"

"I can drive us there." My voice cracked. I'm aware that there's tears streaming down my face. I didn't like violence. I didn't like the idea of Drake punching Cole or hurting him. He was confused, angry at himself for being unable to recall and the one thing he could recall-

If Cole ever got hurt, I would feel worse than I already did.

Cole looked at me finally. There wasn't a trace of remorse at all in his features. Ruthless. Determined. It was enough to make my heart hammer painfully.

Drake released Cole's collar, his fists still balled up. Cole didn't meet my gaze at all. I looked away to, at the homeless guy. He watches all three of us, eyes soft.

In that moment, Cole wasn't the boy I knew. Not at all.

But why did I still love him?