Chapter Six

Please help support my story in the watty's you can help by voting, commenting and sharing the story. Don't forget that you can use the hashtag #Wattys2015 on twitter with a link to my story to help vote. <3 You can tag my twitter and I'll follow you back and check out your story :D

I couldn't bring myself to see him the next few days, I was afraid of what I might find.

Somehow, on Friday evening, carrying his homework in hand. I stood hesitant on the door step. Cole had a private tutor to help him prep for school. If the day would ever come. For fifteen minutes I stood there, unsure if I should enter. I was about to leave, when to my mortification, I hear Cole's voice behind me. "Hey Jen, I didn't expect to see you."

I turned around. His hair was cut shorter than the last I've seen him. He grinned at me, an astonished smile but a neverless a welcoming one. It fell easier on his lips. Not like before when it felt forced. He was drenched in his own sweat, clad in a tight sleeveless sports shirt and short blue pants. On his left arm, an armband with the Nike logo. He pulled out his phone, swiped on it and came up the pavement.

He looked like the Cole I knew.

The one who'd run for ages and always come home, grinning because it made him happy.

I asked him, "How many miles did you run?"

"25 miles." He grinned at me opening the door, "How long have you been standing out here?"

"I just arrived."

Cole laughed, it was nothing like his laugh before the accident but it was close, I felt goosebumps on my skin. "Aren't you going to ask how fast I ran?" He discarded a white dripping wet towel in the laundry basket and headed up, I followed behind.

"Two hours." I stated.

"Two hours and fifteen minutes actually, I'm a little off my game." Cole admitted, "Good guess."

"How long have you been running?"

"Since last Monday." He picked out clothes in his room. "Did Cole always like bright colours?" He asked. I managed to feel like that thursday night was a cruel joke but I knew it wasn't. It didn't make sense but yet, it was there.

My heart sank, "Yeah he does."

"Did." Cole corrected. He picked out a grey shirt and baggy pants. He headed over to the toilet and closesd the door behind him.

It felt like Cole, on days when I'd come after his runs, and he'd do the exact same things, so why was he acting so different? I remember skipping school on Friday morning to google cases of people waking up from amnesia only to say they were someone else. It seemed to be more prominent in twins, but Evangeline told us that Gabriel was twenty so it ruled out the twin theory. There were theories on him being bipolar and I'm hoping that's the case. As long as I had Cole.

It didn't even matter if he couldn't recall me. As long as he was Cole.

Cole came out in thirty minutes, he was fully dressed and he grinned at me. I felt sick. 

"Did you tell your mother about that night?" I blurted out curious.

Cole raised his eyebrow. "She'd think I'm crazy," he stated simply, "Even Angel and Julian wouldn't believe me why would she?" He sat on his bed beside me looking at the mess that was once Cole's spotless room. "I thought about it and I realised no one's going to believe me and those that do will refer me to those scientists that believe in mental bullshit." Frowning, he added, "Have you heard of Soul shifts?"

My heart raced, "What do you mean?"

He mets my gaze evenly, "Great, you know."

I raised an eyebrow, "I never said that."