Chapter 1: Wounds and Encounters

You were inside your mech, "Knight", watching aerial footage on one of the screens.

"Okay, time for diagnostics."

You checked every system and spare part for any damages or malfunctions.

"Everything's green."

You watched the match-timer playing across the Battle Colosseum.

"All systems go," you said activating your mech. "Let's give them a show."

You moved your mech out of the hangar and into the Colosseum, where thousands of people are cheering and screens are showing the broadcast.

"Today's match: Knight vs. Shredder!" the announcer called.

The Shredder mech bursts from the opposite hangar and rushes around the arena.

"Again?! And they wonder why they get bills instead of money," you commented.

Once the announcer gave the "FIGHT!" call, Knight and Shredder charged at each other.

You pulled out a sword and blocks Shredder's claws. Shredder threw Knight into the wall and charged, but you dodged and slices one of its claws off.

Shredder's pilot decides to hold nothing back. He grabbed Knight and dragged it across the Colosseum. You felt the force of this but manages to take control and grab Shredder, putting his movements to a halt and spinning him around before slamming him into a wall.

Shredder went into overdrive and you charged, slicing Knight's sword through Shredder's legs as it drove its claw through the cockpit. With all your might, you threw Shredder down and won the Match.

"He's done it again!" the announcer shouted. "Knight wins the fight!"

The crowd's cheer roared through the Battle Colosseum and you collected your prize money, left the Colosseum and returned to your hangar.

On the news, the reporter was talking about how your latest fights have given you major injuries... just like every other fight. On your way back to your hangar, you saw a girl with bandages running in a hurry to someplace. The girl tripped, but you caught her.

"Are you okay?"

The girl stared at you in silence before noticing what's happening.

"Oh. Y-yes, I am, thanks to you. You can put me down."

"Sure thing."

As you gently put her back down, you noticed something.

"Hey, you're Mikan Tsumiki, right?"

"Y-yes," she stuttered, blushing in what seemed to be an instant. "How did you know?"

"A few of the staff told me that I should see you since my matches are getting rougher lately."

Mikan: "Your matches? Wait. You're Y/N L/N, the Ultimate Mech Pilot. I saw your match."

She noticed the cut on your face.

Mikan: "Oh my! Let me help you."

Mikan went through her bag and brought out some gauze that she covered the cut with.

Mikan: "I have to get back home. Do take care of yourself."

She ran off for home.

"Those bandages look like they're there often. I can tell, Mikan. I can promise that since I know what it's like to be treated like trash."

You walked away as Mikan kept on running.