Chapter 4: Crawl Before Walking

You were in the nurse's office having your arm bandaged by Mikan.

Mikan: "My god, they weren't lying when they said your Mech fights have been getting more dangerous than ever. You need to be more careful."

"It's okay. No different from everything I've survived. I'll be good in a few days."

Mikan: "Days? You need two weeks for this to heal."

"It's nothing to worry about, Mikan."

Mikan: "This is something to worry about. Look, you need to tell the Mech Fighters Association that you won't be able to fight for a few weeks."

"Mikan, are you sure? I'm not doubting your knowledge and abilities, I just want to know if you mean it."

Mikan: "Yes, I mean it."

"Okay," you said, blushing a little. "I guess a break is long overdue for me. I'll talk to MFA. I think they'll be relieved that they don't have to deal with my stubbornness for a bit."

Mikan was left surprised upon seeing you blush after she told you that you need to recover.

Mikan: "Did you just blush from what I said?"

"You weren't stuttering and you more of an "I insist" instead of backing out. No offense."

Mikan: "No, I'm with you. That was new for me. Yeah, I found that strange."

"Well, it's a small sign that your not as big a pushover that people think you are."

Mikan: "I guess, but there's still a lot of things that I'm not good at."

"Well, it's best to crawl before we walk. I didn't exactly strike out on my own the moment I wanted to."

Mikan: "You had troubles as well?"

"Yeah. You can only put up with crap for so long until you decide you're better of taking your chances."

Mikan tried to hand you some water, but ended up tripping and landed on top of you.

Mikan: "I'm so sorry!"

"No worries. It was an accident. Also, maybe try not to say sorry all the time. I mean you can can still apologize, just don't beg for them to forgive you."

Mikan got up off you.

Mikan: "Well, it's become a force of habit for me at this point."

"It's never too late to change. And you don't have to change entirely, just show that just because you can help doesn't mean you going to be treated as weak."

Mikan: "I think I can understand that."

"Okay. Hey, I've been seeing you sleeping under a bench. What's with that?"

Mikan sighed.

Mikan: "So... my family aren't the greatest, so I found it better to be away from home than in there."

"You want to stay at my place?"

Mikan was left surprised by your question.

"I don't see why you have to keep living like that."

Mikan: "Are you really okay with me living with you? I'm not sure I'd make the best roommate."

"Anyone that doesn't pick on people are okay in my book. Come on, I insist."

Mikan: "Then, okay. And travel lightly so don't worry about luggage."

"Okay. Another part of our deal."

Mikan was so excited that she kissed you on the cheek but turned away in embarrassment. You didn't mind though.