10. Dress Rehearsal

The day of the dress rehearsal sent shivers down my spine. It was a whirlwind of nerves and anticipation that lingered in the drama club room. Everyone was on edge, and I was no exception. The air buzzed with a mix of excitement and tension that made it hard to concentrate.

Around me, my fellow actors and crew members were consumed by their own preparations. Some were deep in conversation, discussing their last-minute adjustments, while others paced nervously, trying to calm their racing hearts. The tech crew members were focused on fine-tuning the lighting and sound cues, their concentration unwavering.

Every now and then, I caught glimpses of worried expressions and shared glances, a collective anxiety that seemed to grip us all. The dress rehearsal was the final chance to iron out any kinks before the big night, and the weight of that responsibility hung heavy in the air.

I turned to Jack, noticing the tension etched across his face. "Hey, are you doing okay?" I asked, trying to offer some comfort amidst the mounting nerves.

He glanced at me, his eyes reflecting a mixture of anticipation and anxiety. "Yeah, I'm just... you know, pre-show jitters," he replied, trying to mask the unease in his voice.

I understood the feeling all too well, the way those nerves could take hold and refuse to let go. "Tell me about it," I chuckled, trying to lighten the mood. "We'll rock this dress rehearsal, right?"

Jack managed a half-smile. "Definitely. It's just that feeling... like everything's riding on this one run-through."

I nodded in understanding. The weight of perfection before the big night was heavy on us all. "We've got each other's backs. We'll get through this," I assured him, hoping to offer some solace amid the chaos.

He nodded in agreement, a small glimmer of reassurance lighting up his eyes. 

As Mrs. Lakely started our show timer with a clap, I peered from backstage, watching Jack take his turn onstage. My pen fidgeted nervously as I realized how much I liked him and was relieved he felt the same. I was grateful for Magnolia's support; without it, I don't think I could have handled everything. Maybe Jack and I could really date. Can you imagine? Me, a redhead who's terrible at math, dating Jackson Torres? He's cool, understanding, and popular, even though he's a bit of a weirdo sometimes.

I remembered our rehearsal sessions, full of jokes and laughter. It made me smile. I couldn't believe I hadn't noticed before; he liked me! We talked every day.As they moved to the next scene, my thoughts turned to myself. Acting was something I'd always wanted to do. When my mom was drunk, she'd often say I wasn't good at it. Maybe she was right, but rehearsing with Jack made me feel more confident. Elsie was undoubtedly deserving of her role. She might not have the most expressive face, but her emotions came through in her voice. As I watched, I noticed Magnolia at a cafeteria table, happily observing our dress rehearsal.

Magnolia had always been my best friend, my only friend until Jack came along. She was always laid-back, and her dads were incredibly kind. I adored her. She seemed content with the show, and I was glad. Everyone I cared about was happy.

Amid my thoughts, the last scene concluded, and Mrs. Lakely was beaming with joy. "A perfect run-through! I have no notes!" The whole cast looked thrilled, and I shared their happiness until I saw Elsie hurriedly leaving the stage.

I trailed after her, catching her conversation with Laura in the prop closet. 

"I'm a failure Laura! Jack doesn't like me, so the stage chemistry is so off!" Elsie cried out.

"It's okay, Elsie. Not everything has to be perfect," Laura tried to console her.

But Elsie's upset tone cut through. "Yes, it does! My parents won't let me stay in theatre if everything isn't perfect!"

Laura attempted to interject, but Elsie kept pouring out her frustrations.

"My mom hovers over me all the time, asking about schoolwork and then criticizing drama club. It's such a pain. If this show isn't perfect, I can't prove to them I should stay in theatre. It's a nightmare, Laura!"

I wondered if her home life was always like this. Did her parents truly care that much about her success?

Sometimes, I wished my mom cared a bit more, but I couldn't help feeling sorry for Elsie.