Chapter 8

Madison POV

Madison POV

It's the day of Stefan's birthday and his best friend Lexi's over. I like Lexi, she's always been a good friend to Stefan and she's never been afraid to put Damon in his place. She's an older vampire than us whenever Stefan went on a dark path, Lexi was there for him and helped him. For that I really owe her a lot, but she doesn't have a daylight ring like us either. She can only go out at night which could be a little suspicious to the people on the council. I'm also taking Stefan to the police station for questioning about Vicki.

" You got this right?" I ask.

" Yeah, I'll be as honest as I can. I really was just trying to help Vicki and it lead to her dying." Stefan says.

" It's not your fault, okay? Damon turned her and we tried to help her, we can't blame ourselves for someone who doesn't want to be helped." I say.

" I just keep thinking what if." Stefan says.

" No, what ifs today. It's your birthday and we're going to have the best day ever or try to." I say.

" What would I do without you?" Stefan asks.

" You and Damon would probably be tearing each other to pieces." I say jokingly.

Stefan breaks out a smile and I laugh a little.

" Okay, I'll be waiting outside while you go in and do your thing." I say.

" Thank you." Stefan says.

" Don't thank me, this is nothing." I say.

" No, just thank you for being there for me. I know you probably get tired of being the one that holds our family together, but you really do hold our family together. Without you, we would've probably killed each other because you try to make everyone be at peace with each other. I know I may not always act like or say I appreciate you, but I really do. You're the best niece and sister anyone could ask for." Stefan says.

I smile at him as he gets out of the car.

Later

I see Stefan standing outside of the police station then Matt walks out, I watch as Stefan says something to Matt as he walks off then Elena comes out with her aunt Jenna and Jeremy. I decided to get out of the car and walk over, it's been a while since I've seen Jeremy or Jenna. Elena says something to Jenna and Jeremy then they walk away leaving Elena and Stefan to talk. Jeremy sees me as he walks to the car with his aunt Jenna then he says something to her before walking over to me.

" Hey." Jeremy says.

" Hey, how have you been?" I ask.

" I'm better, I feel a lot better too. I have a lot of old homework to get done." Jeremy says.

I give Jeremy a small hug and he returns the hug.

" I have to go, but I'll, uh, talk to you later." Jeremy says.